+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Though we could all tell you you are being fed a pile of rubbish to be honest your 'support' system seems to be setting you up for a caesarean anyway I would seriously consider reviewing who you are using as a care provider or I fear you will be sectioned either way.
    I have to say I agree with this. I'll be having my second elective c-section in a couple of months which is great for me because I wanted c-sections. So I sought out the ob I wanted, hospital I wanted etc to support this.

But it seems you dont want a c-section but might be being coerced into it, which doesn't speak well of your support network.

I mean if theres a genuine medical reason then I guess you should consider it but if I was you and hoping for a natural delivery then id be inclined to seek out a better reason than "too short" to change my plans. Get some more info and maybe find some people from the other side of the fence for their opinion.

And get a bit of explanation on the too short thing, sounds a bit strange. Unless the implication is that too short=small pelvis= can't deliver naturally which isn't necessarily true anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamonds 14 View Post
    For the record I'm under 150cm, anyone know of women that short that have delivered naturally?
    My mum, grandma and an old friend are all shorter than me and all delivered naturally with no issues My Aunty is also quite short and Japanese and delivered both my cousins naturally. HTH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Headoverfeet - I understand what you're saying and have thought of this but feel that at this point and given my history with this ob (couldn't conceive for 2 years, needed uterine surgery which he performed etc) I'm not comfortable switching obs now. He is a very good doctor from what I've heard and experienced.

I did ask him straight out would he be supportive if I opted for vaginal birth and he said yes, the choice is mine. Also I asked if he would have a set time to let me labour before doing a Cesar and he said no, it was just a matter of watching my progress and doing what's best.

I do have the fear that I'll end up having an emergency c anyway and will wish I had just scheduled it.

I might need to seek out some short women and find out if this short woman=short pelvis=c section theory has any truth to it.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamonds 14 View Post
    Headoverfeet - I understand what you're saying and have thought of this but feel that at this point and given my history with this ob (couldn't conceive for 2 years, needed uterine surgery which he performed etc) I'm not comfortable switching obs now. He is a very good doctor from what I've heard and experienced.

I did ask him straight out would he be supportive if I opted for vaginal birth and he said yes, the choice is mine. Also I asked if he would have a set time to let me labour before doing a Cesar and he said no, it was just a matter of watching my progress and doing what's best.

I do have the fear that I'll end up having an emergency c anyway and will wish I had just scheduled it.

I might need to seek out some short women and find out if this short woman=short pelvis=c section theory has any truth to it.
    As long as you realise it's never too late

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Shanaynay  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If height was really an issue in giving birth, most of the Asian countries where women are generally shorter would have a much higher rate of c sections than they currently do.

Do have a read of the article that headoverfeet posted in the first page, it's from Gloria Lemay, a very respected midwife, and as well as the pygmy tribe who are 4 feet tall and have no problems birthing vaginally she also mentions a client of hers who was 5 ft 1 and very short in the body, who had no problems at all birthing a 7 pound baby.

I googled "4 ft vaginal birth" and came across someone 4"11 asking the same question. She was reassured by several posters who had all known someone shorter who had given birth multiple times without issues.

It sounds like your OB has shaken your confidence - i hope you can find some stories to help.
    Last edited by champagne; 24-09-2012 at 18:17. Reason: typos

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm very much pro birth choices (elective csections for me) but honestly, I have never heard anything like that! A have a friend shorter and skinnier then my 5'3 45kg and she gave birth to 2 reasonably large bubs naturally ( both over 9pd) before you make a choice look in to it and do some research of your own, and make sure you are fully informed and 100% happy with your choice! Just my 2 cents

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've been on bubhub pretty much every day for over 5 years and I've never heard height being an issue to birth a baby. A critical thing you need to have a vaginal birth is confidence in yourself and your body and it sounds like your OB has shaken this confidence and placed a seed of doubt.

I'm not suggesting I have better knowledge of these matters than an OB but how would you feel if you had a CS then found out later that it was unnecessary? I know I would have been devastated and really REALLY angry. If you want a vaginal birth I would recommend getting an advocate for you whilst your in labour, ie, a doula. If cost is an issue then perhaps a student doula?

Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    It all depends it could be a factor if mum is Asian and dad is not bub could measure bigger than usual and hence issues with natural birth... I don't know your exact situation I just wanted to say that I had a schedule c section on ob's recommendation, everything went well and recovery was painless an quick, and I never felt like I missed out or I'm not less of a woman/mother for doing so. You can always wait and see what size bub gets to in the last stages of pregnancy.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    If you want a vaginal birth I would recommend getting an advocate for you whilst your in labour, ie, a doula. If cost is an issue then perhaps a student doula?

Best of luck
    Agree 110%

12. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To me, if your options are either have a c section upfront, or if things don't go well, have it later, then I would opt to 'have it later'...

Your OB sounds like he is doing his job, eg looking at getting the baby out quickly and safely.

But he also knows that there is no real reason you should not try a vaginal birth, so wills till support you.

So how about, just go with the flow and try for vaginal. If you end up with an emergency C Section, it is not 'failing'. It is the fact the hospital has weighed the risks and think it would be quicker and safer to deliver via theatre.

Are you aware that the phrase 'emergency c section' is used for anyone who has a c section AFTER going into labour.

In alot of cases, it is not a true emergency.

Anyway, I am tired and not making sense lol.. Just do what you want KNOWING you have options available. Don't sell yourself short.