+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The arrival of not so little Anton

Sorry about the length, I felt like I couldnt leave anything out!

I had a pretty standard 'textbook' pregnancy. Im pretty healthy to begin with, 22 years old and this was to be my first baby. A bit of morning sickness here and there in the beginning, but nothing else really. At 32 weeks, however, I started light bleeding and strong contractions and was rushed the Mater Hospital in Brisbane - given steroids in case bubs came early and given Nefidipine to stop the contractions. I stayed 4 days. I had threatened premature labour again at 35 weeks and was given steroids and the nefidipine again and after staying a week in hospital, was on strict bedrest for the duration of my pregnancy. Thankfully bubs was fine.

For the next 4 weeks i had a tooth infection, PUPPS, high blood pressure, an ear infection, MRSA (which i had contracted from the hospital), and baby was measuring large. His head was quite big! It was safe to say I was well beyond over being pregnant at this point! At 38+5 weeks, I had booked an induction for the following week - when I was to be 39+5. Had He (Bubs is a boy) stayed in any longer, I would had risked a C-section because of his large head size, which I did not want.

'Induction day' had come. I had spent the night nervously checking the time (I was due at the hospital at 6:30am) and the morning finally arrived. Upon my arrival, I was taken to the birth suite, changed into a gown and introduced to the lovely midwife - Anne. 7:30 came, and my OB had arrived. She broke my waters via the 'hook'. Not painful, just the sensation of warm water rushing between my legs. Contractions started regularly at 8:45. They were uncomfortable at most and I remember thinking "Hey, this isnt so bad". I spoke too soon. by 9:30 - 10 am, I was in the shower with Hubby hosing my back with hot water on every contraction and myself breathing in the Gas and rubbing my belly with warm wash cloths using my other hand!

Anne had encouraged me to use the Gas on every contraction, I was so delirious with pain that I would bite down on the gas nozzle rather then spend energy sucking through the tube. By 11am The contractions were so strong that I would hold my breath on every contraction - they were that painful! Boy, no one told me it would be like this!!

OB came soon after and after a quick examination, confirmed that I was 5 cms dilated. I remember saying "Is that all?!". She then went on to explain that I was in my active phase, but 5cms to go seemed like a lifetime for me at that stage. After proclaiming "I don wanna play anymore" and telling my husband to pack his bags "we are going home" about an hour later, my OB asked if i would like stronger pain relief. I opted for the Epidural.

I honestly don't remember much of the epidural needle going in, I may have been too busy breathing through the contractions which were beyond painful at this point and I was making this weird groaning noise that didnt even sound like me. Next thing I know, legs are being hoisted back on the bed and 20 minutes later I couldnt feel any pain. Bliss. Call me a wuss, but having the epidural was the best decision i made!

2 1/2hours later since last examination and OB had another look. I was 10 cms dilated and ready to push. I couldnt believe it. I had been tired after been given the epidural but I remember just having the most amazing burst of energy.

Around 3pm I started pushing, after 2 hours - I was having trouble pushing his head through. I was also getting tired and feeling defeated. His head was just too big and he wasnt positioned properly. It probably didnt help that i couldnt feel below my waist and couldnt really feel myself pushing. Anne had turned my epidural down so I had a bit of feeling "down there". But it didnt help, Bubs heart was starting to drop and it looked like I was going to have that C-section after all. OB gave me the ultimatum - Emergency C-section OR Episiotomy and instrumental help. I opted for the latter. The 'cut' was made (did not feel a thing) and the vacouse was prepped. OB applied the vacouse to the top of bubs head and told me to give the biggest push I had ever done. After 1 big PUSSSSSSH! his head was out. I felt an incredible pressure on my bottom area, like I needed to go to the toilet or something. After 2 more pushes the rest of his body slid out.

Bubs was laid on my chest and it was the most amazing surreal experience to finally see his face. Anton Xavier was born at 5:38 pm at Sunnybank Private Hospital. He was 3.9kgs and 52cms long. Hefty, Hairy and healthy - I held him whilst OB injected me to help the placenta come out and proceeded to stitch me up. She could have cut off my leg with a rusty razor blade for all i cared at that moment, I was so in awe of Anton and didnt feel a thing.

After the placenta come out I felt an enormous sense of relief. It was over.

Despite the hospital visits during the later part of my pregnancy and the stitches that followed after his birth, I am so happy to have Anton and can't wait to experiance giving birth again.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aap2012 For This Useful Post:

MonsterMummy  (16-10-2012),MsImpatient  (24-09-2012),mummabear13  (02-06-2013),RobinSparkles  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    what a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing! Congratulations on the arrival of Anton

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a beautiful ending to the rough last months of your pregnancy!
    So glad everything is well, enjoy your new baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for taking the time to read my story.
    I felt that I needed to tell my birth story to other mum's to be who may have read or heard about inductions, epidural's, Instrumental help during birth and episiotomy's in a not so positive light. Whilst giving birth 'all naturale' is often the desired method, it is not always possible. I had a positive birth experience despite being induced and needing instrumental assistance.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to aap2012 For This Useful Post:

mum2twinboys  (25-09-2012)