+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    i came back with "no, you are making plans with my family". We are a busy household...I am at uni, my son is homeschooled, my DH works full time, DD is little and has daytime sleeps and also her own activities...also, she rarely sleeps through.

We have a right to privacy and our own life and you should not expect us to drop everything and cater to you as you are not more important than the rest of us.

We invite you over regularly...and you are welcome to call to invite yourself but please understand that we will not always say yes.

She tried again to come over unannounced after that, and I wouldn't let her in (answered the door and politely explained we were busy , then closed the door and walked away).
    Seriously I could have written most of this. It really is how I feel, I'm not asking him not to come over, I'm asking for a 5 minute courtesy call. But if I know it's just something I'm going to have to accept... While we live close by...
    And in all honesty he doesn't do it that often but I really felt I had to set a boundary last week. Blew up in my face

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's funny how things change SO much in just a couple of generations. In my parents time it was normal, wanted, welcomed and accepted to have people drop in at any time. I've also noticed that my parents are more than welcoming when we drop in on them... Because I know they don't mind, but do I reciprocate that at my house? Just a general observation :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My MIL came round once and we didn't answer the door, so she came and peered through the crack in our bedroom window curtains only to see her favourite son and daughter in law completely nude getting it on! Needless to say she has NEVER dropped in again, and you can tell she is scared to go anywhere but the front door LOL

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

babyla  (25-09-2012),MsImpatient  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I like being unnecessarily awkward if someone is intruding on my privacy. I dunno if I could say this to my DAD but I've implied it to my mum... that we could be busy, naked, sleeping, we could be having sex!

lol

So best call ahead

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

babyla  (25-09-2012)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my mil would do this almost everytime they visited us. They lived over an hours drive away, so you would think any reasonable person would call first, before they left home to check where we were. It just seemed so stupid to me, for someone to drive for an hour, just on the chance that we would be home and ready to have them visit. Anyway, I guess life is short, we shouldnt stress the small things. marie.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

babyla  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boxerdoglover View Post
    my mil came round once and we didn't answer the door, so she came and peered through the crack in our bedroom window curtains only to see her favourite son and daughter in law completely nude getting it on! Needless to say she has never dropped in again, and you can tell she is scared to go anywhere but the front door lol
    gold!!