+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Before and After School care and Vacation Care

Hi, this is for any parent that uses Before and/or After School and/or Vacation Care.

I work full time, my son (7yrs old TODAY!!! ) goes to before and after school care, and vacation care in the holidays. While majority of kids enjoy going to these services, my son does not. He cries, he pleads, in his words 'holidays are for family time, and he has to do work'.

Today is his birthday, and I actually thought he'd prefer to be with kids and celebrate his birthday rather than at home doing nothing with me. My sister packed him a "fun lunch", and I sent some freddos to school for him to hand out. But still tears , on his birthday!

I try to take 1 day off a holiday/fortnight (for those longer holidays) and try and do fun things with him when I can. I've tried explaining that to be able to enjoy all those fun times, Mummy has to work and because Mummy has to work- he needs to go to vacation care, etc.

Changing jobs, reducing hours etc are just not going to work, at least not for the next 12months or so. This time next year, we'll take 3 months off and go travelling together but until then I need to work.

Just wanting some reassurance, similar well ending scenarios or even some tips on how to get through the next 12months.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't. I do use family daycare full time for my 18 month old son though. However, I just wanted to say good on you!!! It must be so hard, though the rewards will pay off when you have three whole months traveling together. What an adventure he will remember forever!! Not many SAHP can do that, so good for you. We make sacrifices for this very reason Stay focused and 12 months will fly by.