+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it has affected so many people for so many reasons of which I will only mention a few:

She was a young women and so many of us are a similar age to Jill so it really "hits home" that it could have been me or a loved one.
    She was only several hundred meters from home, she should have been safe.
    She didn't appear intoxicated, some people feel that you are more of a target if you are staggering or obviously appear drunk
    It happened in a "nice" area
    It was busy at the time it happened and on a busy road not a dark alley
    As mums it shakes us to our very core that our children could be left without their mum.
    Last edited by Carpe diem 2013; 28-09-2012 at 13:14.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think for me it's because she was just living her life and it's been so rudely and horribly taken from her. In a second. And she was doing something we all do, enjoying a night out with friends. So ordinary and normal.

I felt the same about Allison Baden Clay, although that was probably because I had met her back in the day, was familiar with her road, she had three girls and so do I etc etc

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it has shaken people up soo much because it was in the media. What about the females/males we dont hear about? What about the people who dont report their assault to the authorities? Like every horrible story of females being abducted, raped, chased, tormented, it will make women wary...for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    I think because it could have been me or anyone of us. It wasnt like a story from the U.S. or overseas somewhere. It was about a women walking home from the pub at night which I am sure most of us have done and something terrible happened.

I think thats why it has affected me. It was such a normal thing to do and a tragic thing happened.
    This. Its something I've done so many times. Walking a short distance alone in town/valley at night. I think a lot of people can reate to the situation, and think, 'that could have been me'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    In my case my DD walks the streets of melbourne alone most nights. She works the late shift and needs to get home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    I, like so many others, have been very distressed about her disappearance, and now the news that she is dead.

I have been wondering though, about our reaction to this .... such a terrible story, for sure, but there is so much horror in the world. So many didn't know her, yet her facebook page has an outpouring of enormous grief from these people.

Why has it effected you so much, do you think?
    I know I was up all night, watching for more news of her disappearance.
    I think because it could have been any one of us. It was so random, not like other cases where it was someone the victm knew, so you can kind of differentiate yourself from it.

Also because she was missing for all those days - everyone hoping she would be found, looking at photos of her in the papers, getting to know her story and her family and watching for news.

Seeing the footage just before it happened, watching the investigation unfold - it becomes real. It was like an episode of Law and Order SVU, except it was real life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A phone is not much use for defending one's self.

Doesn't look as if she stood a chance.