+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Why are you huffy with the government? There is a child care shortage because 180 odd staff leave the industry each week, the pay is crap! I left after 7 years and earn't more an hour as a dockhand with no experience!
    I have to agree - I don't really understand how it is the government's responsibility to provide childcare? Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You don't think a national childcare shortage that keeps people out of paid work and results in women remaining the minority of the workforce is anything for a government to be concerned about?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-09-2012),Rutabaga  (25-09-2012),tormyxxx  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Concern, yes, but blame?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Concern, yes, but blame?
    Semantics. Ok they may not have directly caused it so I can't directly blame them but I can be huffy that they are not doing enough to resolve the issues despite acknowledging that it is a national crisis.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Concern, yes, but blame?
    not sure it's the governments job, they don't sub male dominated industries?

Though I do understand your logic, sub child care wages=more child care spots=more people in the workforce=more tax. Would work as long as they gained more tax than they paid in wage subsidies. Not sure it would though and I am not interested in another tax increase

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me neither. I'm more concerned about more and more women not working because they can't. That's a wider societal issue than just revenue from income tax.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Me neither. I'm more concerned about more and more women not working because they can't. That's a wider societal issue than just revenue from income tax.
    Of course! Maybe they should increase child care fees instead? Money has to come from somewhere and tbh I'm not sure I want it to be from hubbies paycheck..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not really sure why you're arguing against me? Do you think the system is fine? Or would you prefer me to be huffy with those pesky SAHMs who steal my spot And I def don't want fees to increase either. The centre I am hoping to get into charges $125 per day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No sorry I'm not arguing with you, was just having a conversation about it I think the wages need an overhaul because I feel that's the reason there is a child care shortage. I'm just saying I don't think it would be fair to increase tax to pay for child care wages to increase, the money has to come from somewhere though!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    But to increase centre fees would be catastrophic as well- who can afford $125 per day? And even with the rebate, that's what- $67 or so per day? It's already at a rate where it's eating up too much of people's pay cheques.

I feel like we have been placed in the position where a few years ago, the fed government were urging us to increase the population, and now we have so many families who rely on CC and they can't get what they need. If I do end up stopping work, we'll be in such huge debt. Sure half my pay already goes to CC fees (or went :rolleyes) but the other half does our groceries, rent and utilities. Without that my DP would have to shoulder the burden of everything.. and we will really be trying hard to make ends meet.

What's another tax anyway? We already pay so many, a little more wouldn't hurt