+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Well yes, but it's not hard to suss out who's a working mum and who's not...
    haha true! My cargo pants, birkenstocks and baby on hip probably give me away. My DD1 goes 1 day a week and I would swap days if asked but I pay my fees so I won't give that day up. My DD started the week after I enquired, once I got sick of being on the waitlist at 2 other centres, non refundable fees forfeited of course. If I'd realised at the time that being a SAHM would keep me at the bottom of the list I probably wouldn't have wasted the $. Oh and as for original post I don't use my "day off" to get things done I just enjoy DD2, the peace and quiet & occasionally meet up with friends for lunch. DD2 will go to daycare once there is a baby number 3 well on the way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    There are enough daycare centers to go around? Where do you live? Where I live you're looking at wait lists of 18 months to get a spot. Sure there are good reasons for non working parents to use daycare... But I'd be darned frustrated if as a working mum I couldn't get a spot while a SAHM had 2+ days per weeks purely to 'get things done.'
    In my area there is one centre that are advertising dramatically reduced prices, all 3 centres my son has attended had a placement available to start Asap any day I wanted, one was giving away coles vouchers for anyone who stayed 3 months and to refer friends to their centres. In my area if people dont take the placements the centres wont be able to stay open.But Ive still told mine Im happy to swap days if someone needs my days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    There's no waiting lists near me, as far as I'm aware. There may be for very small children, as they tend to have a lower staff/child ratio, but she's been in 3 centres since age 3.5, and I've been able to say, "hey, can I enrol," and send her that very week.

Of course that doesn't mean that waiting lists don't exist, but they're certainly not a problem everywhere in Australia. (I'm Brisbane Northside).

There is legislation in place in Qld about priority anyway, so I'm sure that makes some dent in the issue. When DD was younger, I was asked if I could change days for a working mother, and I did. No big deal.

I've had DD in daycare for varying reasons. She's been in daycare when I've been a full-time SAHM, when I worked (albeit temporarily) and now that I'm studying. I won't apologise to anyone for the reasons I've sent her. I'm entitled to that time, and I paid for and utilised that time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow. Theres waiting lists in a lot of places that I know, although in my current town theres no waiting list (some centers there are but others you can walk into).

My DD is now 6 and at prep, but in the past i have used child care as respite.
    My daughter went to the center 1 day a week, 9-4, had a one on one carer, and it allowed me to get on with cleaning, shopping, erands, phone calls etc. Without that respite, nothing would have gotten done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    If I want to employ someone privately, such as a mummy-nanny, they are all asking around $18 per child per hour. So that's $162 per child per day. (I have twins- so double that.) That's around $1290 per child per fortnight. Even if I only had one child, that's more than I make as an A2 level teacher, with four years of uni and 2 degrees.
    Are they really? I've never heard of a nanny doubling her fees when additional children are cared for. I've had several nannies for my kids over the years (I lived in inner city Melbourne where wait lists were huge) and they usually charged an extra amount for additional kids, but only about $5 extra per hour.

I understand here in WA there's a service that nannies for families with multiples can register through, and if they are you can get a rebate?? my info is really sketchy as I've never used the system here but happy to find out more if it could help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's centre has an access priority list. Its:1. Kids at risk2. Kids of single parent or working parent families who meet the work/study requirements3. Everyone else

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Are they really? I've never heard of a nanny doubling her fees when additional children are cared for. I've had several nannies for my kids over the years (I lived in inner city Melbourne where wait lists were huge) and they usually charged an extra amount for additional kids, but only about $5 extra per hour.

I understand here in WA there's a service that nannies for families with multiples can register through, and if they are you can get a rebate?? my info is really sketchy as I've never used the system here but happy to find out more if it could help.
    Even so, I cannot afford the cost for even one child, never mind an additional $5. It's more than I make in a fortnight, let alone paying rent, utilities, groceries, fuel etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I live in the Southern Suburbs of Perth and worked in daycare. We needed to drop our rates to compete with the surrounding centres as there were soo many. Roughly 6 within a 5min drive at my last place of employment.
    Believe it or not this is not the case in inner city Melbourne. Stating that there are more than enough places to go around as a general fact is simply wrong.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Believe it or not this is not the case in inner city Melbourne. Stating that there are more than enough places to go around as a general fact is simply wrong.
    My humble apologies for making a simply wrong statement.

This still doesnt change MY OPINION that I dont care what a persons reason for using daycare, home care or before/after school care is.

If I go into a centre and am told there are no place, Im not going to get into a huffy imagining some SAHM getting things done and 'taking up my spot'. That being said, like I have said, near my area (and areas I have lived/worked in) there are/have been plenty of centres within range so it wouldnt be an issue for me.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Let's just clarify- no one was getting huffy.

I said I was upset that I don't have a place and I may have to quit teaching until my own children are of school age- but I never said I was peeved at SAHM's for taking up care spots. In fact I believe I said that it's their right to use them, or something along those lines.