+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    There are enough daycare centers to go around? Where do you live? Where I live you're looking at wait lists of 18 months to get a spot. Sure there are good reasons for non working parents to use daycare... But I'd be darned frustrated if as a working mum I couldn't get a spot while a SAHM had 2+ days per weeks purely to 'get things done.'
    I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm NORTH brisbane and have not heard (amongst friends) of wait lists that long for day care up here. My son's daycare is always fully maxed (ie its popular & occasional care spots are rare) yet I only waited 6 months. Obviously if you're in a big city like Melbourne or Sydney I would assume longer wait lists?

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankfully living regional means you get pick of the crop.

I am 100% for SAHMs using daycare. Everyone needs a break every now & then and not everyone has that support network where they can leave bubs/kids with someone to clean/run errands!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The priority access thing is actually in the legislation. Well it is in QLD. And I have seen day-cares ask parents to move days/make spots available for a child based that priority access. If I were a working parent who couldn't not access day care because it was full I would be asking about the legislation around priority access and questioning if they follow that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sweet_lemons For This Useful Post:

babyla  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think this is a mute argument, naturally working parents need daycare so do parents who require respite for various reasons. The problem is limited daycare places. If you haven't heard of limited spaces in daycare you are extremely lucky because it is a problem for thousands of families every day.

The priority of access is a national guideline:

Here it is:

Sometimes, there may be a waiting list for child care services and to ensure the system is fair, the Australian Government has “Priority of Access Guidelines” for allocating places in these circumstances.
    The guidelines only apply to Child Care Benefit approved child care. They are used when there is a waiting list for a child care service or when a number of parents are applying for a limited number of vacant places.
    Every Child Care Benefit approved child care service has to abide by the guidelines and tell you about them when you enrol your child into care.
    Priorities

• First Priority: a child at risk of serious abuse or neglect;
    • Second Priority: a child of a single parent who satisfies, or of parents who both satisfy, the work/training/study test under Section 14 of the 'A New Tax System (Family Assistance) Act 1999' ;
    • Third Priority: any other child.
    Within these main categories priority should also be given to the following children:
    • children in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families;
    • children in families which include a disabled person;
    • children in families which include an individual whose adjusted taxable income does not exceed the lower income threshold of $41 026 for 2012-2013, or who or whose partner are on income support;
    • children in families from a non-English speaking background;
    • children in socially isolated families; and
    • children of single parents.
    A child care service may require a Priority 3 child to vacate a place to make room for a child with a higher priority. They can only do so if you:
    • are notified when your child first entered care that your service follows this policy
    • are given at least 14 days notice of the need for your child to vacate.
    Outside School Hours Care

Outside School Hours Care is primarily for school children. A service may ask a child not yet in school to leave care if a child who is in school applies for a place.
    Employer sponsored places

If a child care service is funded by an employer for their employees’ children it can give priority to those children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Also using playgroup defeats the 'getting things done' side of it as the parent will obviously have to be at playgroup with the child. Using daycare kills two birds with one stone.
    It certainly does, which is why I said I was responding to the social part of your post only.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Thankfully living regional means you get pick of the crop.
    I live regionally, and yet here I am with absolutely NO prospects. This town is large enough for four significant primary schools, and one small school. It has two secondary schools, two TAFE's etc.

And only two LDC's. Which, naturally, are both full.

The shire has abandoned their FDC scheme.

The private FDC run by Bambini won't take children until 8:30 in the morning (as is the perogative of the carer, she has a young baby, I understand.) I however, need to be at work a half hours drive away by 8am.

There is a FDC scheme that is based in a nearby larger regional centre (actually where I moved from) that runs all over this area of the state. But they don't have carers in *this* town.

If I want to employ someone privately, such as a mummy-nanny, they are all asking around $18 per child per hour. So that's $162 per child per day. (I have twins- so double that.) That's around $1290 per child per fortnight. Even if I only had one child, that's more than I make as an A2 level teacher, with four years of uni and 2 degrees.

The dire lack of childcare places is only getting worse, and I think if you live in an area where places are so easy to come by that you get to pick and choose, you are the exception to the rule, not the norm.

As I said previously, I don't begrudge anyone holding a space for whatever the reason. I do begrduge the situation I am in- but it's not anyone's fault but.. I guess the government? And whether that be state or federal, I don't know (but I'm guessing state, and considering we're in a liberal phase with budgets being cut left, right and centre, nothing will be done about this situation in time to help me.. maybe my grandkids will be better off though..)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The problem with saying that working parents who need a spot so that they can work to pay bills is... What about people (like me I admit) who want to work as they love their job and would be bored being a SAHM and can't afford to move to a bigger house and have overseas holidays unless I return to work? There is no way a daycare centre would know why a parent is actually working and nor should they!The problem is stupid lack of places!! And that is a government issue.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes i live in north brisbane too, and i had 3 daycare centres pretty much say i can start her within a week and one say that i only had to wait 2 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dream of having DD looked after so that I can get things done, but this happens only on the weekends when DH or my sisters entertain her for me. I get time to myself four times a week, driving to and from work two days a week.

I don't begrudge SAHM's (or dads) using daycare, it's first in best dressed as far as I see it. We didn't have a waiting list and walked straight in, so I guess I haven't been in that situation to know. I'd be pretty ****ed of if the daycare started doing a "this child is more worthy of the spot because they have bigger bills to pay/a bigger house to clean" or another type of selection criteria for places.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    There are enough daycare centers to go around? Where do you live? Where I live you're looking at wait lists of 18 months to get a spot. Sure there are good reasons for non working parents to use daycare... But I'd be darned frustrated if as a working mum I couldn't get a spot while a SAHM had 2+ days per weeks purely to 'get things done.'
    I live in the Southern Suburbs of Perth and worked in daycare. We needed to drop our rates to compete with the surrounding centres as there were soo many. Roughly 6 within a 5min drive at my last place of employment.