+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I understand how frustrating it would be not to find a spot for your child when you have to work. I haven't used daycare for getting jobs done around the house (well, once, a few years ago) but I had 5 kids in 10 years, so a lot of projects and things around the house have been difficult to get done. I'm not complaining, (it was my choice to have the children!), but sometimes I really yearn to just get stuck into something without someone asking me something or asking for something, if anyone can understand what I mean? I think I am also just needing time when noone is needing me for anything. Just to be alone and do what I want to do (which might just be something like clean out my bedroom wardrobe without little hands dragging everything through the house).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    Yes I understand how frustrating it would be not to find a spot for your child when you have to work. I haven't used daycare for getting jobs done around the house (well, once, a few years ago) but I had 5 kids in 10 years, so a lot of projects and things around the house have been difficult to get done. I'm not complaining, (it was my choice to have the children!), but sometimes I really yearn to just get stuck into something without someone asking me something or asking for something, if anyone can understand what I mean? I think I am also just needing time when noone is needing me for anything. Just to be alone and do what I want to do (which might just be something like clean out my bedroom wardrobe without little hands dragging everything through the house).
    Yes I understand and there is nothing wrong with wanting this at all. Occasional care is offered by lots of centres, where you can drop off for a couple of hours, half a day or a morning every now and then. I think it is completely natural to want time to yourself and you should try to arrange somehow for yourself. Time out is important

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Clarabelle  (24-09-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I dont care what a persons reason for putting their kid in child care (or before/after school care) is. Its there to be used. There are enough day care centres to go around. If you need some time for whatever reason, get that time. Simple.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Aka  (27-09-2012),beccacino  (25-09-2012),cam11  (27-09-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (24-09-2012),Guest654  (25-09-2012),LoveLivesHere  (24-09-2012),Purple Lily  (24-09-2012),SassyMummy  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes im a sahm and my kids use daycare.
    DD1 goes 3days to daycare cause i couldnt get her a pre-school place.
    DD2 goes 1 day.

I have switched days for DD2 already this year as the director asked if id mind as another mother needed it for work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I never did when I was at home full time- the money would have been too much for us to afford.

And from the other side of the fence now- coming from the position I am in where I have two weeks to get my boys into some form of care after our carer had to stop for family reasons... there are NO spots available around me, anywhere. Absolutely nothing. I am on the verge of quitting my beloved career for 16 months until my boys start school- that's how bad things are. So if I was to learn that spots were being taken because someone wanted to get a few jobs done.. I would be really upset.

Now, this is not a judgement on anyone who does it. I can completely understand the need for 'me' time, even if it's to clean the house and pay the bills without children under foot. I just wold like to think that so long as it's not putting someone in the position that I am in, then it's all ok.

Sorry- this is a sensitive subject for me today (and I'm hormonal, damn PMS so everything is cutting to the core.)

Carry on!
    I understand your frustration. I was in the same situation being a working parent and waiting for a position at daycare for my ds when I knew there were non working parents utilizing positions for their children.

I have been a sahm and when i was I kept ds1 in daycare for 1 day a week as he had been going to daycare for so long I didn't think it was fair to tear him aware from the environment and his little friends. This also gave me 1 on 1 time with ds2. At once stage the daycare became short staffed and I volunteered to forfeit ds's position for a working parent until they were fully staffed again.

I have to say I get annoyed when sahm's say they want time to get things done. I worked everything around my kids when I was a sahm, to me that's what you do as a sahm. Now i am back at work, im either working or at home with the kids, my lunch break (when I have one) is the only time I get things done on my own.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure do! However I work from time to time - I do contract work for a couple of months here and there, then might have a month off or so. But I keep DS's spots while I'm not working too because 1. He likes kindy and 2. I need to keep them so I have daycare organised for when I do work.

Also I found being a SAHM much harder than working. I had/have a very active toddler and no help (single mum and family all work full-time). I needed a break! But I do have some flexibility with days so if a working parent needed a particular day I might swap if I'm not working...

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I haven't. I only use daycare to work. My children are young though and haven't needed to go, so when I was a sahm I took them out of care. I am going back to being a sahm next year though and I will keep ds2 going to care as he is in kindy/government preschool. He will only go 2 days a week. Will have ds 1 in school. Have not decided whether to keep ds3 in care one day per week to make things easier with our newborn due in december. Decisions decisions. Might try it out a few times and see how things go once the new baby gets here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I used it for a break. Not to get stuff done.

I find when she's not here, stuff doesn't get done because I think, "Oh yes, peace!" and bludge. It's when I spend lots of time on the computer, or napping, or watching rubbish TV shows. lol. She's 7 though so my time away from her is during school hours on Mon/Tues and when I go study the rest of hte week.

When she was going to daycare when she was smaller though, I used those times to read, to relax and to deal with my mental health issues, incl. seeing my psych and GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know it wasn't previous poster intention... But now I'm wondering how many working Mums at my Son's daycare are annoyed/angry at me for possibly taking up spots they would rather have....?It never occurred to me prior to this thread... In the whole 2 years my son has been in care 3-5 years that I might be taking up a spot that working mums may need... I just figured there were plenty to go around.
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 24-09-2012 at 20:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tbh i honest unless you told them they wouldnt know. Its a breach of privacy otherwise.