+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I never did when I was at home full time- the money would have been too much for us to afford.

And from the other side of the fence now- coming from the position I am in where I have two weeks to get my boys into some form of care after our carer had to stop for family reasons... there are NO spots available around me, anywhere. Absolutely nothing. I am on the verge of quitting my beloved career for 16 months until my boys start school- that's how bad things are. So if I was to learn that spots were being taken because someone wanted to get a few jobs done.. I would be really upset.

Now, this is not a judgement on anyone who does it. I can completely understand the need for 'me' time, even if it's to clean the house and pay the bills without children under foot. I just wold like to think that so long as it's not putting someone in the position that I am in, then it's all ok.

Sorry- this is a sensitive subject for me today (and I'm hormonal, damn PMS so everything is cutting to the core.)

Carry on!
    I totally get this. I think our daycare has a priority thing where it takes working parents, then those that need respite care and then other bookings. But occasional care I would think wouldn't be taking away from a working parent. I agree that places for working parents should be priority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I totally get this. I think our daycare has a priority thing where it takes working parents, then those that need respite care and then other bookings. But occasional care I would think wouldn't be taking away from a working parent. I agree that places for working parents should be priority.
    Yes, our daycare also has this priority. Kids of working parents are taken for spots first. As far as I'm aware almost ALL day cares have this system.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Unfortunetly not many centres will use this priority of access after the children are already in the spot they only apply it to wait lists.

Nomise I hope you find someone soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nomsie I hope you find care for your children soon, it must be very stressful for you.

My house/life is seriously disorganised and I'm trying to run my own business (very part time work though) and recover from physical issues thanks to my pregnancy. I had a friend come a day every week or two until my dd was 18 weeks old so I could manage and now my kiddies spend time with my mum just so I can get stuff done. It's not that often cause my ds goes to Kinder 5 days a week and dd is still having lots of BF's a day.

But, I think occasional care, family assistance, etc is perfect for this. It can be no care for weeks when you don't need it and more often when you do need it (eg. lots of appointments, trying to paint the house, etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have jasper in daycare because he'd been going for a year when I was studying and then working, we've had baby and I'm (trying to) study part time from home, I've got her enrolled to start in January so I can either complete study in a class room or get back to part time work.So yeah right now jasper in in daycare part time while I am a full time sahm. I've gone over the choice to leave him in care but I don't want to disrupt him and I can't do ANY study if he's home, least I can do some here and there around katelyn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yup, did it from shortly after DS's first birthday till he started kinder. I have no guilt about it either - the two daycare centres he was in did actually contact me about changing days to make room for working parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately the priority system only applies to wait lists - they don't actually ask parents who don't work to take their kids out or even change days. I'm sure it happens on rare occasions but not as standard.I can understand why parents do it one or two days a week. But if I have to resign my job because I can't put my kids into daycare (we have no family here) I would be really annoyed. Don't think any spots would be taken by SAHM's in my case though as our name is down for CBD centers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, we only use school age care because we have to. Ie we work. But perhaps with a school aged child it's easier to get things done. Not sure...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have put one of mine into while I was a SAHM on the advice of her pead. I had friend had hers in a daycare for respite when she had bad PND, another while she recovered after a bad car crash, yet another while she was caring for her dying child.

Just because you are a SAHM doesn't mean that you shouldn't use this service and should be made to feel like scum because you taking a place from a working mum.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (25-09-2012),beebs  (25-09-2012),cam11  (27-09-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (24-09-2012),Guest654  (25-09-2012),mummabec  (25-09-2012),nelle7250  (24-09-2012),pisang  (26-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I have put one of mine into while I was a SAHM on the advice of her pead. I had friend had hers in a daycare for respite when she had bad PND, another while she recovered after a bad car crash, yet another while she was caring for her dying child.Just because you are a SAHM doesn't mean that you shouldn't use this service and should be made to feel like scum because you taking a place from a working mum.
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that. But this thread was aimed at those who use it so they can chores, not for the reasons you have stated. And I don't think anyone has even said that people shouldn't use it to get chores done. The real issue is the lack of childcare spots!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (25-09-2012)