+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally, I'm stoked at what the government do for me - I get CCB and CCR which means I end up only paying about $23 per day for DS's care at his long day care centre. I also get FTB payments due to being a single parent earning under the threshold amount. I am SO grateful for this.

I do feel the government are very conscious of the inequality in pay for female dominated industries and that this is on their agenda. Others may disagree but I feel it is.

Id like to see workplaces take more responsibility for childcare, especially corporate australia, by providing on site childcare in their buildings.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The government has no choice but to accept the bulk of the responsibility for the childcare shortage and for coming up with a solution.

It wanted the population increase so it introduced the baby bonus etc and it worked, more babies were born.

The government wanted women to return to work so it introduced some form of paid paternity leave, and it is working more women are returning to work.

As a result of the above (and the increasing cost of living and people's 'wants') comes the greater demand on childcare.

It is time for the government to deal with the consequences of what it started.

As for the original topic I can understand why people would use day care for reasons other than working, but if it meant that I missed out on a place when I need daycare so I can work then yes I would be angry about it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (25-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    What's another tax anyway? We already pay so many, a little more wouldn't hurt
    don't even get me started on tax and the levys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    No sorry I'm not arguing with you, was just having a conversation about it I think the wages need an overhaul because I feel that's the reason there is a child care shortage. I'm just saying I don't think it would be fair to increase tax to pay for child care wages to increase, the money has to come from somewhere though!
    Here is hoping there is someone smart enough in Govt to figure it out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    While there may be a priority list for daycare centres it's not to say it is followed. I know for a fact that there are parents that aren't working utilising positions at the one and only centre in the remote town we live. On the enrolment form it asks if you are working, studying etc and even if you say you do/are you don't have to proove it which I am assumming could be why the SAHM's have spots when some working parents are on the waiting list.

I also don't think the fees are unreasonable. I don't think $400 a fortnight for 2 children in daycare after the CCR is deducted is expensive and many that are on CCB would be paying much less or next to nothing so they shouldn't be complaining. Our centre offers a discount for additional sibblings too, I assume this is the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It depends where you live in regards to fees. At the inner city ones that we were looking at for my son 2 years ago, they were $140 a day per child. Now we are regional they are between $65 and $80. That is a huge difference, especially if you have more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    While there may be a priority list for daycare centres it's not to say it is followed. I know for a fact that there are parents that aren't working utilising positions at the one and only centre in the remote town we live. On the enrolment form it asks if you are working, studying etc and even if you say you do/are you don't have to proove it which I am assumming could be why the SAHM's have spots when some working parents are on the waiting list.

I also don't think the fees are unreasonable. I don't think $400 a fortnight for 2 children in daycare after the CCR is deducted is expensive and many that are on CCB would be paying much less or next to nothing so they shouldn't be complaining. Our centre offers a discount for additional sibblings too, I assume this is the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always used care for work but after the next bub comes and I'll be staying home DS will keep going and DD will b in afterschool care I then plan to give myself one day a week purely to keep my life in order. I can barely do it now let alone with three of them. It really impacts on my mental health when things are in such disarray. That and DH refuses to agree to a cleaner even though I simply can not keep on top of things.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post

What may not be unreasonable to you, may be out of the question for others. From your previous posts on the forum, I gather that money isn't too much of an issue for you.
    Whilst $400 a fortnight for me would be a dream price, the reality is I have been paying around $600, and it's crippling me.
    It's very hard to say what is a good price for everyone (unless it's free! lol) as we all have different incomes and expenses. A family may have a very good income, but with just one sick family member, a lot of their money may be directed at hospital and medicine bills- hence $400 a f/n is a big ask.
    And my previous FDC (run by the shire) did not offer discounts for siblings either. Tight *****.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Nomsie for providing your situation to the forum- it really sounds like you are in a tough spot and I hope you get a place ASAP. Would it be possible to sit down with the centre manager and explain your situation? Maybe they could bump someone to another day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    What may not be unreasonable to you, may be out of the question for others. From your previous posts on the forum, I gather that money isn't too much of an issue for you.
    Whilst $400 a fortnight for me would be a dream price, the reality is I have been paying around $600, and it's crippling me.
    It's very hard to say what is a good price for everyone (unless it's free! lol) as we all have different incomes and expenses. A family may have a very good income, but with just one sick family member, a lot of their money may be directed at hospital and medicine bills- hence $400 a f/n is a big ask.
    And my previous FDC (run by the shire) did not offer discounts for siblings either. Tight *****.
    Our centre charges $110 per day for under 2's and $55 for half a day for over 2's. The ccb cuts off at around $90,000 so those getting both the ccr and the ccb can't complain. Surely those earning over that amount can afford the fees, we are lucky we get the ccr regardless of income, without that it would be expensive.