+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is prenatal yoga worthwhile?

Hi Ladies,

I'm thinking of joining a prenatal yoga class. My reasons for wanting to join are to get some kind of exercise as i find even walking now tires me out too much, and also im starting to get a Few muscle aches and pains now so im thinking the stretching might give me some relief from this. The instructor specializes in pre and post-natal and has had plenty of training in these areas. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with pre-natal yoga and whether you think it's beneficial?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never did it but sure as hell wish I had! The fitter you are the better for labour , put it this way: getting out, socializing, stretching those muscles....none of that is going to be a bad thing OR a waste of time
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 24-09-2012 at 10:15. Reason: Silly auto prediction mistake

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I LOVED my pre-natal yoga. It was the highlight of my week. I would always sleep well after my class, which helped towards the end and everything was uncomfortable.

We did an hour of exercise, shared some birth wisdom (sounds a bit hippy but it was awesome!) and had a relaxation at the end of each class. My birth was amazing and I think a lot of that had to do with yoga - both the exercise and the knowledge I gained about birth.

I also did post natal yoga, which I loved, it helped me get back into shape after my son was born, and it was great to get out and meet more mums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I loved pre natal Yoga and found it very rewarding in a lot of ways. It helped me to try and stay as supple (as can be when pregnant), relieved the usual aches and pains of pregnancy, but also helped me when I was suffering with sciatica and PSD. Another thing I liked was it taught me how to be relaxed, that sounds obvious, but it is really difficult in the business of life etc to be truly relaxed and especially on cue. I found it to be very beneficial in terms of pain relief during labour as I had learnt all the breathing techniques and positions to enable me to help the baby pass down through the birth canal. It was also a nice way to exercise and be around other pregnant women and the comraderie which comes with that. I would most certainly reccomend it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, absolutely. I do pregnancy pilates and I love it. I did it the first pregnancy, from 12 wks til about 35 weeks, and I know it helped. I'm back again now during my 2nd pregnancy.
    It's relaxing, works your muscles and stretches your body, helps with pelvic floor and definately helps during labour. I recommend it to everyone, hehe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow sounds great - you've all convinced me ;-)

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought i would stop by and give you all an update. I had my first pre-natal yoga class this morning and I LOVED it! It's a small class of 6 and it was fantastic. I felt so relaxed afterwards; so relaxed that I had to concentrate on holding my head up coz my neck felt like jelly! I was the only one in the class who hasn't done yoga before yet the instructor made it really easy for me to keep up and fully explained every position and its benefits :-) yay for yoga!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome! Once you start, you just feel so much better. Good on you.