+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yup be brutal. You'll feel better for it. The things you want to sell maybe see if you have a local fb buy & sell page? Or gum tree? Its a lot quicker as its not an auction You name a price. Someone buys and picks it up. Then contact your local vinnies/salvos/red cross as some will pick up larger/valuable items so if you can't sell maybe you can just rehome (or free cycle?)Otherwise garbage bags and toss anything you haven't used or worn etc in 6 months. Have a box for sentimental stuff. Organise and sort documents etc When you said small I imagined small we lived in a unit the size of our old lounge room For a year. Its great moving from there to a 3 bedroom townhouse because we have no clutter at all. We had to get rid of so much stuff.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i never really got flylady tbh. It takes so long to read thru the emails there isn't a hope I would get anything done Mind you I never did get past 'polish the sink', it seems like too much effort

We have a 4 bed, 3 are used as bedrooms and the 4th is a study/sewing/guest room combined. I spent ages sorting thru the main part of the house, and moved heaps into the back room, then sorted thru that into keep/donate/sell/chuck. I still have a few boxes of stuff to sell but the rest is under control. I got a $50 desk on wheels from ebay, and my sewing is set up on a trestle table. The bed is up against the wall. Its easy to rearrange it when we have someone stay over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We live in a 3brm house with one kid and one on the way. Every couple of months I do a major declutter. I hate clutter, but DH is a hoarder. Here are some things I've found:

1. We have a deck on the back of our house so we use some of it for storage, there's a big cupboard which stores photo frames, sewing stuff, etc. I've decided to chuck all the sewing stuff so it will be getting a big clean out very soon.

2. We put extra shelving in our wardrobes - just bought it from the hardware store, it's white plastic stuff, so every bit, top to bottom is utilised and the wardrobes store more than clothes - eg. photo albums, some baby stuff like breastfeeding pillow and ergo, etc.

3. We have a linen box in our bedroom for our spare linen as there is no linen cupboard. We also have a small filing box from Officeworks for all our paperwork and it gets gone through every 6 months and huge piles of old bills etc get thrown out.

4. We are getting our kitchen redesigned to make it more space efficient and make the kitchen/dining area feel bigger. It's going to cost a bit, but much less than the mortgage on a bigger house.

5. Hubby made some adjustments to the laundry cupboard by cutting some shelves back so we can fit the vacuum cleaner in there. We've got the ironing board hanging on the back of the door.

6. Under the couches, under the beds is all used as storage.

7. We also have two sheds that are used as storage (although DH resents "his" sheds being used for this purpose. I buy a lot of space bags and pack away old baby clothes, etc. I've packed away my normal clothes while I'm in maternity clothes.

Just get the mindset that you don't need to hang on to it. I considered keeping all my son's cot bedding (co-ordinated jungle theme) and his old clothes cos we are planning a third child - you know what? For my own sanity I'm going to sell them and then buy more second hand clothes if we do have another boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok first off you don't need a highchair if you don't have space for it. There are alternatives -one of those highchairs that attaches to the table, or a bumbo with a tray would work too. Or if you desperately want a highchair get one that folds down and it can live folded up...in a corner or under a bed.You can always incorporate a play table with a dining table...we did when we lived in a two bedroom teeny tiny house with two kids. Our table didn't fit so we had a little play table and we'd pull that up to the couch and Dd's would sit on chairs and we would squash up on the couch. No it wasn't great but it worked and we all had dinner together which was the whole point. Then thay just leaves the bouncer...we had a travel swing for our third. It was little and didn't take up much space at all.Oir kids room's will soon hold all their toys...a trofast storage system and their toy boxes (storage system is ikea) is how ot will work. Dd2 and DS will share a room and DS's under the cot drawer is going to go under the bunk beds that we will get for them and be a train table. That way they will have room to play in their bedroom (we have a toyroom here so it will be different) and their art and craft table will possibly go in the study...not sure yet.I think you just need to get creative but clearing out the storage room will definitely help you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Be ruthless.
    Be honest with yourself: am I really going to use this?

Only keep the stuff you will actually use.

I've been doing a serious declutter recently. I am a 'keep that because it might come in handy one day' sort of person.
    Out of over 70 novels, I'm keeping somewhere between five and ten. I used to teach, and over three culls I've got my teaching resources down to just enough to not freak me out if I go back - 4 1/2 of those big plastic boxes down to one I think 25L box. Two-thirds of my fabric I realised I was never going to make anything out of anyway, so I sent it to Salvos.

If you're not going to use it, don't keep it.

And buy less. If you don't really need it, don't buy it in the firstplace.

And i agree with the PP - there are alternatives to highchairs and playtables and things. Be creative!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I agree I think the bumbo is going to be a great high chair for a while, I'm in the process of putting a whole wardrobe full in eBay, my size 8 clothes... Won't be fitting in those for a while... So I'll have more room to store baby stuff. I'm thinking I need to do a serious declutter in the office too. It's just all so time consuming and loooonnnngggg I guess I just need to get stuck into it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Having 3 children - one in a wheelchair in a small house has made us be smarter with storage. We've got boxes under the bed for toys, our wardrobe doubles as a storage cupboard, so does the linen cupboard and spare space in the kitchen cupboards. At one stage we had 2 in highchairs, so instead of using a highchair we bought booster seats that straps onto the dining chair - our 21 month old still uses his.
    We put dvds into the dvd wallet things you can get - you know the ones that looks like a folder? All of the covers have been chucked out.