+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well i'm confused about how that is small? Sounds like you just need to declutter and then you will have heaps of space - start small, pick one room and start there. Stop using a bedroom as storage - rent a storage space if you have to.
    I live a small house, 3 bedrooms (only 2 useable) with 2 kids and 1 on the way, 1 living space (small), no dining room but we make it work. The key is no unnecessary crud and being organised and clever storage.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You just have to be brutal and get rid of things you don't use and look at storage ideas for things you do use but don't want all over the place.

4 bedrooms isn't small at all. We were in a 2 bedroom unit with DH, myself and our 3 girls for years. De-cluttering is definately the key. I did a huge de-clutter a couple of years ago and got rid of so much stuff we hadn't used in a long time. No idea how all that stuff fitted in our small place. We gave stuff away that we didn't need anymore to op shops and things just had their own place they lived in when not in use.

We are now in a 3 bedroom place but still try not to have too much stuff we don't need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know what you mean! We live in a 4 bedroom house - it sounds big but it's really not, upstairs is only bedrooms & bathrooms, downstairs is just a loungroom, kitchen and dining. It's not like we have heaps of living space, it feels a lot like a townhouse really. The worst part if the house is that it lacks storage. There's a decent space under the stairs but it doesn't have a proper linen closet, no pantry in the kitchen or room for big appliances, and the configuration downstairs makes it hard to add any shelves or cupboards.We are currently working through the house to make it more practical and to maximize the space. A few things we have done or in the process of doing:-Bought a coffee table that is basically a big box - a bunch of appliances and platters etc that we don't use every day live there-put shelves in the under stairs storage and hooks in there too for bags, coats etc-put up a wall mounted shoe rack next to the laundry-went from 2 to 1 desk in the study (one of the bedrooms) and cleared out the filing. We'll probably get a fold-out bed or good quality inflatable mattress as this room will double as a guest room if/when we have another child -cleared out our clothes and put in drawers/shelves/rails in the wardrobes to make the most of the space-wall mount TV and get rid of the unit it sits on (our loungeroom is long and narrow so a bit awkward)-designate a play area for DD (13mo) and be determined not to accumulate too many toys! So far so good...-regularly cull junk we don't use and sell furniture we don't need/use on eBay My best advice is to get brutal with your stuff, get rid of things you just don't need (it's amazing how much you can make selling it on eBay) and be creative with storage solutions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some good tips here already. Storage for us is the key! A place for everything and just being ruthless. We just packed up all DS newborn stuff and things he'd grown out of - I gave away lots, chucked lots and the rest is packed up. We moved in jan and I decided then I was going to be ruthless, junk and clutter messes with my head and once I got rid of stuff I felt lighter. Trots off to check out the 'organised housewife' - thanks SPG!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Another good website for decluttering is FlyLady. Lack of storage space can definitely make a difference. Our already tiny 2 1/2 bedroom house looks even smaller because we have to cram thing where ever theres room for then - my pc fesk is mect to the dining table ffs! I ended up packing things into boxes and putting them in places that are usually clear - under the bench, between furniture & the wall etc. no idea what we're going to do when the twins arrive - upgrade hopefully!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    Right so I shouldn't have had that coffee after dinner now I can't sleep an I'm thinking about decluttering the house........ I feel like the walls are closing in on me. I have plans to sell lots on eBay but its such a long process and I'm really a procrastinating kinda person...
    If you've been putting off listing on Ebay and you think there is a chance that you might keep procrastinating ....well then I'd be ruthless, sort out the must keeps and box or bag up the rest and take them down to Vinnies and reclaim that space sooner.
    Think of all that lovely space waiting for you....that space will be your reward!

Do it today! No time like the present

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its actually harder when the kids are older and bigger, we have a small 3bd house with 4 kids.

I am an obsessive de-clutterer though but its still squishy, luckily we have a large back yard I suppose.

You could always have a garage sale for your unwanted items, and use your storage wisely to maximise your space.
    Do one room at a time, put things in boxes, garage sale/ op shop / throw out.
    Be ruthless and get rid of un-needed furniture that takes up space too.

Use one room for sewing and a guest room together, get a futon couch to use for guests because you can fold it up when not in use.
    Have the other two rooms as kids rooms.
    Use tubs under beds for storage.
    Use the shed/garage for storage, get some second hand wardrobes for the shed to store things.

Move furniture around to make use of the space you have such as your lounge and bedrooms.
    If you have a manhole in the roof you can bag things up and store them up there too.
    Show us some pics and we can help you how to utilize the space more.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (24-09-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    Show us some pics and we can help you how to utilize the space more.

Great idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pick a date and advertise a yard sale for that date....that should motivate you to get ruthless and you can make money off the things you don't need anymore. We live in a large 3 bedroom and study house with two living areas and two bathrooms and will be downsizing soon, when we buy. We are hoping to purchase a 4 bedroom/one living area house and we need to be a bit ruthless.Clearing out will make you feel so much better. You don't need a bedroom for storage. We have nowhere to store things...no shed or garage and not a huge amount lf cupboard space. When we moved in we threw out a ton of stuff and don't miss it. We'll throw out a ton of stuff again this time round too. You can get some cute and inexpensive furniture for storage so make plans and make one room a sewing/storage/office space and then you'll be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some really good ideas ladies! The word ruthless came up a lot!!! My main concern is when DD starts crawling and when I need a high chair and bouncer and play tables... Our living area is really tiny, I mean tiny, the configuration is horrible and I've been looking for a suitable dining table for 3 years! Sometimes it's all good other times it feels like the walls are closing in!! I did the baby's room this morning- I always feel better when her room is all tidy, trying to tackle the kitchen, I've put away the pump n bottles which she won't take anyway so I've reclaimed a good part of the benchtop.Slowly getting there! I might post pics after I tidy up :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-09-2012)