...says Victoria's public hospital system is worse than Sudan.
(Sorry ran out of room in the title)
A COUPLE who lost their baby girl during birth remain in the dark about why she died or where she is buried almost four years on.
Mum Loli Daoud said she received better care giving birth in her native war-torn Sudan than in Victoria's public hospital system.
The family's plight follows revelations that secret payouts of almost $25 million have been made in the past year to families whose babies suffered bungled births in the state's public hospitals.
Seven months pregnant with her fourth child, Ms Daoud arrived at Northern Hospital in mild pain with her husband, Budrus Toto, on October 21, 2008.
Soon after being admitted to the maternity ward, she felt further discomfort and went to the toilet, where her baby girl's head came out.
Through an interpreter, she told the Herald Sun: "I then fell on the ground, and labour began, and in five minutes the baby was delivered."
She had not been told to press a buzzer to alert staff in an emergency, had been too weak and dizzy to cry out for help and after the birth she lost consciousness for 20 minutes.
"When I woke up I was completely covered in blood, the baby was covered in blood and so was the floor. I crawled to the door and knocked on it for my husband to come."
Mr Toto alerted medical staff, who cut the cord, moved her to the bed and put the baby in the cot, where it is believed they tried to resuscitate her.
Her baby girl, who had been named Anna, was then taken away, dead, and Ms Daoud never saw her again.
During her two days in hospital, no one explained what had happened, but she was handed a photo of her dead daughter as she left.
Three weeks later, the couple received a phone call from the hospital asking for $300 to pay for their daughter's burial, and they were told they would receive details in the mail of the whereabouts of her remains.
The letter never arrived, and eventually they visited the hospital but still did not get any answers.
Despite twice requesting an incident report to explain what had happened that night, they have had no response from the hospital.
The couple are investigating their legal options.
Northern Health chief executive Greg Pullen said the family had been offered support.
So very very sad, I hope they get some answers soon