+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Slushy / Snow Cone Maker

Just wondering if anyone has one of these?
    Are they any good?
    Which brand/type do you have?

The Sunbeam Slush Magic got a poor review on the GoodGuys website but I did see the Sunbeam Avalanche one on ebay and it looks ok.

Are they the type of appliance that you buy and use once then forget all about it?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We have the Sunbeam slush magic - a lovely friend bought it for the kids as a Xmas present. I have never really got it to work properly - it needs waaaay more rock salt than it says and more ice too and even then the results are mediocre at best.

Oh - eta, and I have four kids but it only makes enough for two drinks each time

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah that's what I read on that one's particular review, it needs heaps of rock salt etc.
    So that's one brand I won't be getting.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was given one in winter.. it sat in my car till i realised my niece & nephew needed a Christmas gift. I usually just use a freezey cup fill with drink, put back in freezer for 10 mins, stir repeat, stir eat. Or is that drink...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had one and it was a PITA!!! Same as what everyone else said, way too much ice and rock salt needed for what you got and took forever to just get cold especially in summer. I would maybe consider an ice shaver, but could not be bothered. I think we binned ours...

edit: ours wasn't sunbeam (can't remember the brand but they all the same mechanics/theory of working....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    They're really lousy IMO. I had one years ago... can't remember the name but remember it being rubbish.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thermomix

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just saw this advertised on TV: https://www.slushymagic.com.au/home.aspx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've got a sunbeam slushy maker. You need to make sure the drink is really cold before you start. I also mostly fill the inner bit with ice them add more 1/2 way through. Like pp said it only makes 2 decent sized drinks. Slushies are 1000% better then snow cones though. You also shouldn't use diet drinks. I had bought a cheaper brand slushy maker before the sunbeam one but there was a hole where the salt water goes so the drink was really salty. It seamed the same as the sunbeam thoughWhen we had an ice shaver years ago I found the soda****** flavours really good. Huge range and strong so you didn't need much and it didn't get too watered down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ive got a sunbeam avalanche. Its more of a snow cone /ice shaver than a slushie.
    I love it and so do the kids. Its easy to use and if you just use plain ice then flavour after crushing you don't need to dissemble it to clean which is a bit of a pain (mostly cause i forget how.lol)

Just have to remember to keep the ice cube trays stocked up.