+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sewing Machine advice for beginner

Hi all,

Hoping to get some experienced sewer's advice.

I'm wanting to get a sewing machine and try my hand at sewing again. Haven't done any since High School and was just at beginner stage then too.

My sister in law has offered me a lend of her old one, to see if I get into it and follow through. But it needs a service and a new foot.

Part of me just wants to go out and buy a new cheapish one. I don't know anything about SIL's old one. Wondering how much it would cost for service and replacement foot and if it is worth it if I'm most likely going to want a new one soon anyway?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Services can be from $40-$100. A new foot.. unsure Why it would need a new foot.. do you mean foot pedal? I have only replaced a foot after I have lost one. What is it actually needing?

A basic sewing only machine you can pick up from $250 or cheaper (there are a couple of basic singer & brother models that are usually on special at 1/2 price at about $150)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootedMumma For This Useful Post:

Ijjies  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just service my machine myself after watching tutorials on youtube of how to do it, very easy! Just need some machine oil and I made a mini attachment for my vacuum cleaner with some bendy hose and gaffa tape.

I bought a new foot recently off ebay, was only $10 or so.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Ijjies  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    if it needs a new foot pedal, just buy a new machine.

my sewing machine foot pedal broke and it just wasn't worth replacing when you can get basic machines for $200.

ETA - might depend on the model then, cos the quote i got was heaps more than $12.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Ijjies  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I assume by foot you mean the presser foot, which is fairly cheap to replace. Services can be done at home - it is not too difficult.
    Stick with the older machine and if your hobby takes off then consider a new machine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Ijjies  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently had my janome machine serviced for $100. If you arent familiar with sewing and sewing machines i dont really think it would be a good idea to try and service it yourself especially if it isnt your machine. I would wait for a good sale and buy a basic machine. Even if you dont use it very much it can come in handy for hemming clothes etc. I love sewing though dont have much time now, hope u will enjoy it too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Ijjies  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends what the old machine is. I have an old second hand Bernina that is a true workhorse and fantastic for beginners. But some old machines would not be worth holding onto. Totally depends on the brand/model.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Ijjies  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have an elna easy sew which is great. Not expensive and simple to use. It has a few different functions, like button holes. They're at spotlight.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Ijjies  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all the replies. What I mentioned before was all I knew so after your comments I checked with my SIL for some more info. It was the presser foot she was referring to, so it's good to know that's not too expensive. And she wasn't sure of the exact model but it is an old janome. As much as I want a new one, I was leaning towards seeing how I go with hers first. In case I don't get into it. BUT if it's going to be closer to $100 to service, I'd be thinking that money might be better spent on a new one. Thanks again!! Appreciate the input.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, just wondering where you would choose to take your machine for a service?

I have a spotlight nearby, I automatically thought of them. But I remembered there is a sewing shop called Metro Sewing Centre in the area too. Is one likely to be more expensive than the other?