+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    As you can see from this thread, you'll get fairly varied responses. I say, eat as well as you can, find out what foods are risks and decide which ones you think are the riskiest (some people avoid everything, some eat the same as usual, most take a middle ground), and go from there. People will tell you 'you don't need to eat for two' but if you are genuinely hungry- eat. I was eating for about 20 with ny first pregnancy. I only put on 12kg abd lost it quickly, so I clearly needed it all. So dont go overboard just because you 'can', but don't worry about eating huge amounts of food if it's what your body needs. Also, eating healthily is great but if you have ms and can only stomach hot chips for a couple if months, then so be it.
    All perfectly said...especially the bolded part

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't eat food that is a risk for listeria or food poisoning. Apart from that, I eat the same. I generally don't eat much high sugar/white flour/take away/crap anyway. My diet is mostly vegies, wholegrains and meat/fish.

I am 13 weeks post birth and am 5kg heavier than I was at conception. So, I say eat the same. I think you only need an extra couple of hundred calories a day, so a small apple and a small glass of milk would cover that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just ate lots more or all the really healthy, fatty stuff. Yoghurt, legumes, fresh fish, green veggies, avocado, weetbix, berries, red meat etc etc etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    As previous posts have said, try to eat healthy balanced diet as it will make it easier on your body in the long run. Also all the literature says you dont need to eat anything extra. That being said, I felt sick all day every day for the first trimester so I ate continuously. Didn't eat very healthy, just what I could stomach and I didn't put on that much. I am now hungry most of the time so eat whenever, whatever I want. My dr wasn't real supportive with how much I put on from a couple of my previous visits but I have only put on 11kg so far with only 5 weeks to go so I personally think he is just being a jerk.

That being said how much you should be eating will also depend on your pre-pregnancy weight. If you are underweight they will want you to start putting some on most likely. So you should check with your care provider.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats!! Well my doc said that for the 1st trimester to increase your intake by 100 calories, 200 for the 2nd trimester and 300 for the 3rd. Which isn't really much so if you don't want to put on too much weight, keep an eye on your food intake. I know some people have the idea that your pregnant so you can eat what you want but that really isn't ideal. In reality your growing another life, so now, out of all times you should be keeping any eye on what you eat.
    There is a list of things you cant eat but there are alot of things you can.
    Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pregnancy is a time
    When you really should be conscious of your diet. I would be mindful not to eat to much - I ate too much and put 23kg on, I ate only healthy food and needed the extra weight as I was very skinny to begin with, but if your already at an ideal weight I'd try nit to be stuffing yourself too much.

You usually don't need many
    Extra calories but you do need very healthy, natural food for vitamins and nutrients in the best possible form for your body an baby. Lots of veges, fruit and some protein (meats, eggs, fish, chicken etc), nuts and seeds if you like them, some carbs although I wouldnt eat tii much of them, etc. Just go back to basics and have a look at the food pyramid. Eat to feel satisfied, and you won't get fat from snacking on fruit and veg if ur still hungry!
    Try to limit lots of sugar, processed foods, fatty foods, coffee, soft drinks etc. If you follow a natural diet, any weight u gain should be easier to Lise afterwards with exercise, you'll look and feel healthier, a healthy baby and will probably feel better about yourself post partum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your pregnancy! I was told to eat what I was eating before, but I was pretty shocking with my diet before so that didn't work. Pre-pregnany I was eating a trail bar and a coffee for breakfast, 4 corn thins with vegemite for lunch (or nothing), and a 'normal-ish' dinner. I was also doing a one hour aerobics class every day. After nearly passing out one day during the first trimester I realised I had to actually look at my diet and work out what's reasonable.

I guess my point is that if your diet was bad beforehand, you'll need to modify it, and make sure you take folate supplements (very important). During 1st trimester I added a big salad with bread for lunch and that seemed to help.

I actually requested blood tests every two months to monitor my iron and folate. If your vitamin levels are fine, you're probably ok