+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much should I be eating?? What should I be eating? HELP!

Hi Everyone!

I found out two days ago I am pregnant

I am approx 6 weeks and am absolutely confused! I have an idea of what not to eat but don't really know what I should and how much.

Any support would be great xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

In terms what to eat/not to eat, NSW govt has a handy fact sheet about food in pregnancy:
    http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...y-brochure.pdf

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in the same boat at the moment. I have all the info I could find on what NOT to eat, but my biggest problem is how much I should be eating. I'm already hungry ALL THE TIME, I eat and then 5 seconds later I'm hungry again. If I have a big meal then I'm hungry again in about an hour or 2. But, I keep finding info online that says you don't need to consume any extra calories until the third trimester. Its all so confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try to be sensible about eating and eat healthy!
    The less extra weight you put on the easier it is afterwards! Be kind to yourself, eat well, with a few treats to make you happy! Good luck with your pregnancies!
    Last edited by Mod-Nomsie; 23-09-2012 at 15:11. Reason: Please refer to rules regarding links to other websites

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pregnancy is not a time to be starving yourself but it's also not 'eating for 2'. If you make healthy meals and fill up on low GI carbs that's the best way! Salads, fruit, vegetables and lean meats congrats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You don't need to eat any extra than normal, try to eat as healthy as possible but if you get m/s just stick to whatever you can stomach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Eat when you're hungry, lots of good fats, vegies & fruit, cheese is great & easy, eggs. Just eat a healthy diet - small, frequent snacking might help with nausea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eat when you are hungry, it is your body telling you it needs fuel. Fill up on nice healthy stuff and you will be fine. I added extra fruit to my diet, more fibre and high iron foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If you're really stressing, see a dietician, but you should generally just follow a healthy diet, and as for amount, you should eat what you normally would, plus the equivalent of a sandwich and a banana (so not "eating for two" as in doubling your serving sizes... lol).

Aim for grains, fresh veg, little bit fresh fruit, lean meats, etc. All the good stuff.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As you can see from this thread, you'll get fairly varied responses. I say, eat as well as you can, find out what foods are risks and decide which ones you think are the riskiest (some people avoid everything, some eat the same as usual, most take a middle ground), and go from there. People will tell you 'you don't need to eat for two' but if you are genuinely hungry- eat. I was eating for about 20 with ny first pregnancy. I only put on 12kg abd lost it quickly, so I clearly needed it all. So dont go overboard just because you 'can', but don't worry about eating huge amounts of food if it's what your body needs. Also, eating healthily is great but if you have ms and can only stomach hot chips for a couple if months, then so be it.