+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Reply to a police report

I made a complaint (wouldnt normally do) about a man smoking in the car with a child. I got this email as a reply.
    Thank you for your email dated 31/8/2012 about the male person smoking in his car with children present.

The only way this matter can be enforced is if
    you are prepared to go to court and give evidence against the person in
    question, for this to occur I will need a statement from you first and then the
    matter would be investigated and if police believe there is evidence to sustain
    a charge then the person would be charged.

If you would like to provide a
    statement please let me know and I will arrange an appointment.

Take
    care
    like seriously? I would have to go to court and make an offical statement for this to be taken further!? How pathetic.
    What evedence could I give? Wouldnt it all be just he said, she said type thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What did you expect them to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes of course you would have too.

What did you want to happen?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

threechooks  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry, but have to agree with the others.... what were you expecting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly I wouldnt have a clue. Think I would of prefered no reply so then I could at least pretend they did something. Like stalk them and catch them in the act themselves lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    They did do something - they listened and responded with what the appropriate next step would be. They can't do anything based on hearsay.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    Honestly I wouldnt have a clue. Think I would of prefered no reply so then I could at least pretend they did something. Like stalk them and catch them in the act themselves lol
    But wouldn't no reply be taken that they have ignored your complaint and done nothing?

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a bit like the swearing one - Police used to have to do heaps of paperwork and 'investigation' and go to court. In July 2011 the law changed and they can issue on the spot fines - I guess the law for smoking is not on the spot fines so you would have to go to court.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm a smoker, but abhor those that smoke around kids, especially in cars. Totally selfish.

But... from the police's POV they can't just charge someone bc you said you saw it. Don't get me wrong, I 100% believe he was smoking and good on you for reporting it, but there is a process they must follow to ensure fair treatment of everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm a smoker, but abhor those that smoke around kids, especially in cars. Totally selfish.

But... from the police's POV they can't just charge someone bc you said you saw it. Don't get me wrong, I 100% believe he was smoking and good on you for reporting it, but there is a process they must follow to ensure fair treatment of everyone.
    Yeah I wasnt sure if I should report it or not. I posted on my FB asking if I should or not. I started smoking about 7 months ago for the first time so feel a bit hypacritical about complaing lol Not that i would dare do it in the car with kids etc. Not like I took a picture of him doing it though, so dont think it would go any further. Im proud to say I reported it, just wish they could do more about it.
    Maybe one day he will get caught, I felt sorry for the kid