+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Removing night nappies

Hi, I have a 3.5 year old boy who still has his night bottle and still has a nappy I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on how I can cut both out! He is potty trained in terms of during the day and sometimes he will ask to pee in the middle of the night but how do I approach taking his night nappy and his night bottle out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to wake dd at regular intervals for about 2 weeks to take her to sit on the toilet weather she liked it or not. she would complain and scream, because i have woken her, but she got the point and started to be able to hold and not wet herself. i put a waterproof mattress protector on her bed, and a pull up and sometimes i'd just put undies on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, firstly start with the night bottle...my son was off a bottle by 18 months, he still had a small drink before bed ( in a cup) it only about a quarter cup if that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What do you mean by night bottle? Before bed or overnight? I assume before bed. My ds loved his milk before bed and still does at 5.5 years old. BUT, at around 3.5 we stopped offering milk at bedtime. He is a big eater and gets hungry, so we would offer milk in a cup with a straw when he had finished dinner and that was then separate to bed time. The good thing about a 3.5yo is that you can explain why. You can explain that he's a big boy now and he really doesn't need milk at night time. Gradually reduce the amount of milk and don't make a big fuss about 'here is your milk' and wait for him to ask for it after a while and then he'll miss out on it a few times and then it will become less frequent and become a 'special treat' instead. My ds probably has milk about once a fortnight at bedtime-ish now and probably only around 50 - 100ml.

As for the night nappy that's a little harder. Boys can be hard to train overnight. Options include getting him up at 10pm/11pm at night to go to the toilet - you don't wake him as such, just pick him up & take him to the toilet & let him sit there to do wees. Great in theory, but trying to get my 22kg 5yo to do that is impossible. I suggest you prepare with lots of spare sheets & bedding (put a full set of fresh bedding in a plastic tub or bag and have it ready in the room near the bed. Then put him to bed without a nappy on, but with a cover on the bed to collect the wee (mental blank on what they are called) and see what happens. I don't recommend doing it in winter if your house is cold as changing a completely wet & cold child in the middle of the night is distressing for all involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What we did was cut out the night milk before bed and just take him for a wee before he goes to bed at 7pm. Then hubby takes him again at around 11pm before goes to bed to tie him over to the morning and then he goes at around 7am. Early on when we dropped the night nappy at 22mths we kept drumming into him make sure you call out when you need to go wee wee. At first he kept calling out as he was making it a game by wanting us to go in there but now he doesn't give false alarms. He still has an accident but usually every 3 weeks or so. Good luck. We still have to take him he isn't ready to go on his own yet.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I can't help with the bottle, but with the night training we just went for it when I discovered we were out of pull ups and couldn't get any more.
    I just said we don't have any more pull ups, lets wear some jockies and tomorrow we'll go buy you some special jockies for being big boys. They went for it.

One twin has been more successful than the other- he's only wet twice now (once last night, but yesterday was very out of routine) whereas his brother was wetting every night and it has lessened now to about once every 8-10 nights.

Definitely get a waterproof matress protector- I just bought some cheapies off eBay- they're a bit noisy when the boys roll over, but it doesn't wake them and they do the job.

Make sure you have plenty of spare sheets, and wash soiled sheets the next day. Ditto with PJ's- always have the fresh set handy. I put a clean set of jocks, a fitted sheet and PJ bottoms in the boys wardrobe for easy access. If I need anything else I'm pretty good at finding them in the dark now!

I find we have more success if I ask them to go to the toilet right before bed. I also check on them before I go to bed and ask them if they want to go to the toilet. They're asleep, but they still answer me

I think the most important thing, is get rid of all night nappies so YOU don't have that crutch to revert back on- it can be tempting some times when you changing beds in the middle of the night for nights on end (Although- I will admit that the changing sheets part is what put me off night training for so long, but it's really not as bad as I thought it would be!)- just don't go back!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks I will try tonight with the milk in bed and then in a couple of days take the nappies completely Thank you for all your great advise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you just need to cut out the bottle, tell him he's too big to have a bottle now- do you have any younger friends or family you can say the bottle is for them now because they are little? Cut out drinks after 5 or something except maybe half a glass. I didn't 'train' my kids, we just stopped putting nappies on them after they'd been dry for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cut the bottle out first.
    Invest in a couple of brollysheets to save yourself from stripping beds in the night.

Take him to the toilet around 10pm and 3-4am for a few weeks then cut down to just once a night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    cut the bottle he is far too old for it..make sure he has gone to bathroom an hour after last little sip of drink ..then bed..should be fine all night I would imagine....