+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How can I help my partner accept my unplanned pregnancy

I found out I am
    Pregnant a week ago. My boyfriend isn't fully against the idea of a baby - when we talk about having it he smiles and giggles. But he changes his mind and gets sad about it. I asked him
    Earlier if he would be sad if I kept it, he said yes. I then asked would he be happy if we didn't have it, he said no. I know deep down I can't abort, and I know thT I have negative emotions about this too but I don't think too much about them as I have a two and a Half year old son so I know that life works out and children are blessings. My son is to a previous relationship so I guess it's a little different for me as this is my second time round, but my boyfriend has been my sons father figure since he was 1, so he has had some experience on parenting (this was completely his choice and I am
    Touched that he came into our lives and opened his heart to my son like he has).
    He wants the baby, but he is worried about travel, life goals etc. Is there any way I can help him warm up to this and be positive? I know he'd be a great dad, but I love him
    That much that I actually care that he is happy. I know he would be by my side no matter what and he has told me this himself, he is a good man. I just want him to be happy and don't want to make him
    Feel like he is held back.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think most men have the moments where they're not sure. It's an unplanned pregnancy and it's only been a week. Give him a little time to get used to the idea .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Give him time and don't harass him about being positive. He will probably come round when he's ready, but you making a big deal about it won't help.

That's my advice anyway...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He'll probably come around. Both my partner and myself were quite unsure when I was first pregnant - and it was planned. At almost 40 weeks now, he's ridiculously excited and impatient to meet our baby. Give him time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think a lot of people have the general perception that having a baby means putting your life on hold. Yes a baby will change your life in a big way, but that doesn't mean you can't do many (if not all) of the things you wanted to do. Maybe talk some more about what travel and life goals etc he's worried about and reassure him that you know these are important to him and whatever it is he wants you'll work together as a family to make sure they happen.