+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had no birth plan but I did have a care provider (midwife) that I knew very well, felt close to and trusted implicitly. If you are not sure who will be supporting you during your birth I would strongly suggest a birth plan IF you feel strongly about any certain interventions, pain relief etc... but it sounds like you're pretty relaxed about it, so... I guess your plan would be to be flexible, anyway!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't have one, I was prepared to go with the flow. The things that I had really strong feelings about (episiotomy(sp?)) I spoke to my ob about and he reassured me they weren't his thing and he was inclined to let things happen as nature dictates, but the other thing that I was really concerned about (meconium) did happen so that changed the game a fair bit and to be honest, I was happy to be managed through that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As someone else here said they just want a bit of an idea about what you do and don't want so they can support that on the day without bugging you. I was go with the flow too ... Best way ... Plans never work! So just let them know exactly what you wrote at the start of this thread. They'll be pleased to know they have someone who will go with the flow

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't. I knew I wanted a natural birth and was in s birth centre so had no choice. I also wanted a waterbirth which the middies New so between those two things I got what I wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never did as i didn't get the chance to do one my son came at 36wks but all went well without one just went with the flow, im sure alot of people proabably don't stick with the original plan anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My birth plan in its entirety 'Get em out healthy.' Last time round was slightly more detailed - I wanted to go as far as I could without pain relief, nobody but necessary staff & DF in the labour room, only an unavoidable c-section. My midwife joked that with such low expectations we'd have to screw up royally not to fulfill it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't have a birth plan with Jasper, I had a bit of a positive affirmation "how I'd like things to go ideally" but it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. I planned to go in, trust the health care providers to know and do what was best by me, my baby and my body, and knowing that I would ultimately always choose what was going to be best outcome for my baby.

I really wish I'd spent a little more time looking at things like hospital policies and procedures, looking into the risks associated with interventions, thinking about what I'd like to be happening immediately after my baby was born, I wish I'd given some more thought to "what if"s and either had a birth plan, a birth partner who knew my wishes inside out who could advocate for me, or a very clear understanding between myself and my health care providers.

Second time around I had a very clear and detailed birth plan. Nothing flowery or sweet. It wasn't a "step by step" plan, it was things like. I will not consent to internal examinations I dont feel are necessary. I will not consent to ARM. I will have a cannula and CFM (for a VBAC) however I will also remove the CFM myself to shower or have alone time in the bathroom.

Also things like - when baby is born she is to be given to me, placed on my chest naked, cord isn't to be cut until my say-so, I wanted a natural delivery of the placenta. etc.

Also things like "baby isn't to leave the room without my permission, except in a dire emergency"

Things like that.

Because I assume A LOT of things would go without saying. But I had internal exams without my consent. (as in - I had said no) I had a stretch and sweep without my consent (I wasn't told ahead of time that thats what the ob would do inside my vagina until after it had happened) my baby was taken out of the room after my csection without telling me where he was going or why. Also they did the vit K and hep b injections without me there. So I'd also specified on my birth plan Katelyn wasn't to have vit k or hep b until we were breast feeding on the maternity ward.

I dont want to be all scary and doomy and gloomy though!

AND once I had a birth plan, when I was there I still was flexible. I still agreed to ARM in the end, and I worked with them.

The ONLY thing I'm STILL ****ty about is I'd written on my birth plan in BOLD CAPITOL LETTERS for my df to TAKE PHOTOS WITH THE DIGITAL CAMERA AND NOT HIS PHONE. And all I have is two grainy crap photos of me with couple of minute old Katelyn taken with his crap phone camera. Not happy jan. Cant exactly re-pose the event!!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a plan. I covered all bases knowing birth doesn't go to 'plan' so it had things like:I didn't want to be offered drugs, but would ask for them if I wanted them, I didn't want internals unless necessary and did not want to know how far dilated I was etc.I wanted delayed cord clamping and baby on chest. If it was an c-section I wanted to breastfeed in recovery and if I couldn't hold the baby DH was to have skin to skin and no one else was to hold baby until I had etc.I think birth plans are a good idea personally and I had one on one care with a midwife, but 2nd baby she couldn't be at the delivery and when the midwife came in she said she'd read my birth plan in my file. It was nice not having to worry about telling her what I wanted whwn in labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had something of a plan for my first, which was anyway other then on my back. Come labour day, baby was in distress, ended up being monitored and being on back anyway.. so birth plan out the window.. But I kept to the things like, wanting hubby to cut the cord, and other things like that.

Second time round I had a more laid back approach, go with the flow. I wanted a water birth, but I was open minded at the thought it wouldn't happen.
    Got my water birth.. but it only lasted 7mins. :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm due in 8 weeks and have started considering writing a birth plan. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and advice, I've gotten some great ideas! Obviously I also know it can all go out the window, which I will deal with. I just want my baby!!
    Thanks again!