+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Explaining where babies come from to a 4 year old

I am pregnant and my 4 year old is very curious about it all, she asks lots of questions and one theme that keeps popping up is 'where did the baby come from?', 'How did it get your belly?' type questions.
    I'm quite lost on how on to answer these questions?
    Help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    imo, if shes old enough to ask, shesbold enough to know the truth. dd is 4 and asked me how they get out and i told her that he will come out my vagina or dr might have to cut mummys tummy. She has also watched a few eps of one born every minute and stuff to understand how it goes down. She even talks about how when she came out she was covered in blood and daddy cut her special bellybutton rope!! she was happy with that explanation. when it comes to how it got there? i just said daddy put it there and it grew. she didnt ask anything else!!! i didnt explain the technical details lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DD is 4 in a few months and has started slowly asking questions about babies. She looks at my ceaser scar and I tell her thats where the drs got her out of my tummy, that keeps her happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd tell her the truth: Mum and Dad made a baby, the baby will come out of mum's vagina etc. Nothing too graphic but nothing too soft, either. It's just life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks everyone
    She knows baby will come out of my vagina but i wasn't sure how to tackle explaining the making of baby. Some great suggestions.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4yo attended the recent birth of her sibling, so she saw where the baby came out and had been prepared for that.

Babies get into tummies because Daddies put the seed in there was our description. She was happy with that for a while but then asked how Daddy did it. We told her it is very complicated and we will explain when she is 10.

After the birth, she asked if Daddy put the baby seed in my vagina. I said yes and she hasn't yet asked any more questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 7 but still very naive. He doesnt ask me how the baby got in there. Anyway I just told him we need a Mummy and a Daddy to have a baby. Sometimes I even show him flowers with their anthers (male pollen) and stigma (female part) etc. He just believes it pretty simply.

He has been extremely curious with my pregnancy though. He kept asking me how the baby will get out, like through where. So I came up with the pee, baby, poo holes ... And he got it...he knows wee comes from the pee hole, baby comes out of the baby hole and poo comes out of the poo hole! He doesnt ask anymore after that!

However I have other questions from him. He wants to know other stuff like what the OB does, do they get to see our private parts etc etc...he is very funny. He wanted to see my breasts and my nipples (I havent shown him yet). He wanted to see my bra and how it works. He wants to try breastfeeding straight from my boobs! He also wanted to see my maternity pads and how I put it on. Errmmm...I am not sure how far I should go with sharing him with all these answers. I think I am having a future obstetrician here.