+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 24weeks pregnant with chest infection

Hi,

I have felt a chest infection coming on for the last couple of days but my GP won't really hand out antibiotics unless I am coughing up the green radioactive waste. Sure enough yesterday afternoon it started to get worse and is now raging along in fine form. I know it's a chest infection cause I get them about 3-4 times a year and have done since I was about 2.

Bubs isn't moving as much which may just be because the poor little tike is trying to sleep around me coughing my lungs up. Can a trip to the docs wait until Monday or should I try and get into one of the AH GP's?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op if your worried about bubs movements I'd call your hospital that you are booked into to see the middies to be sure. Also if you definitely think you have a best infection I would be seeing a gp ASAP, last thing you need is for it to develop into p sumo is if not treated early. As you know our immune systems aren't great during pregnancy so we are much more vulnerable when we get sick. Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go to a doctor or hospital straight away. I had a bad chest infection and asthma when pregnant with dd, i ended up in hospital for 7 days hooked to a ventilator, oxygen and iv anti b's. Along with steroids for lung problems. All this came from a chest infection. I was in icu and nearly had to fly to Sydney to have baby. (6 hours away ) look after yourself!
    Last edited by Nat1341; 22-09-2012 at 16:09.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Use your judgement. I had virus went to Dr and he refused ab as well. It got worse and i spent 5days in bed feeling horrid and living on max dose of panadol. My tummy hurt so much from coughing and I could feel bub moving as much as usual.

About ten days after it started I went to ER (we rural and day clinic closed) cos I was worried about baby. They did a trace and he was fine, apparently kicks were being recorded but I couldn't feel them.

I have been sick for three and a half weeks now but after about two I could tell I was getting better.

I never had a temp though and did my best not to get dehydrated. I still have cough, phelm and blocked nose but its mostly clear/white with just a bit of green.

I don't regret not getting ab but it has made recovery slower.

If u think u need them go back, like pp said depending on person it can improve slowly like mine or get very dangerous.

Are u wheezing or have high temp?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and when u saw my Dr for my antenatal check she agreed ab best avoided unless totally nec. And she said half her patients have same thing as me atm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thankfully have managed to avoid having a temp as long as I keep the panadol up.

Got some pregnancy friendly nasal decongestant today so have been able to get some sleep. Can't get into after hours gp, hospital said to leave till Monday a long as it doesn't get worse.

Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    temp and wheezing are the big dangers apparently so FX they stay away.

I got salt water in a tomato sauce squeezy bottle and flushed it up my nose while having a steamy shower - it helpt a fair bit (for 30min or so at least)

rest up, i know how your feeling xo