+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

We will he homebirthing any baby we have in future...
    Me too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    See for me personally i will ALWAYS birth in a hospital, i am gbs + and my family history of problems is high,I disagree that a woman 'stepping' out her door is the first step in intervention.I think women should be supported to birth however they wish providing it is safe to the infant & monther

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-09-2012),Guest654  (22-09-2012),Jenga  (22-09-2012),LoveLivesHere  (22-09-2012),soccer mum  (22-09-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I think any woman birthing in a way that she doesn't feel comfortable is bound to run into difficulties. I think all women should be able to choose the birth they want. Including homebirth, birth centre, hospital, c/section etc.
    Exactly. If home birthers want support, (which I do) they need to also accept that some of us prefer to give birth in a hospital and it doesnt make us 'ill-informed' or 'brainwashed' or 'uneducated'. I have my reasons for wanting a hospital birth, as home birthers have good reasons for wanting a home birth

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soccer mum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-09-2012),Ellymoe  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've never heard a homebirther tell another mother she's a fool for birthing how she has chosen to. If there is someone out there who says that, don't believe she speaks for the majority of homebirthers.

It's so sad that this is where the thread is heading... it's a POSITIVE thing for homebirthers. It's not taking away the right to birth in a hospital...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (22-09-2012),Happy2be3  (22-09-2012),headoverfeet  (22-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    See for me personally i will ALWAYS birth in a hospital, i am gbs + and my family history of problems is high,I disagree that a woman 'stepping' out her door is the first step in intervention.I think women should be supported to birth however they wish providing it is safe to the infant & monther
    Of course women should be supported regardless of how they wish to birth what concerns me is the level of unnessesary intervention, this increase in interventions has not changed mortality rates. Studies has shown that while mortality outcomes for hospital v's home are equal (for low risk women) the women in hospital end up with more interventions, higher rates of PND and PTSD, lower rates of breastfeeding and higher morbidity rates these are not good outcomes. This study has shown that low risk women in hospital have a 20-60% higher rate of intervention. All these women started off on the same footing- low risk, how did they end up requiring so much more intervention? Also an interesting point, see: here about first time mums being induced which is one issue.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I agree with the thread title, but only in places where home birth is properly supported and resourced. Also, geographically, I don't believe the thread title is true for Australia. If intervention is required, many people are too far away to transfer.
    A hospital I could have had my baby at has a home birth program, however, I live to far away to have been considered to use it. Maybe if Australia had more stand alone midwifery run birth centres I would agree, but presently no. If you live in a remote community eg. the Torres Strait Islands, you are actually encouraged to fly out weeks before your due date to be nearer hospital. In Australia, for many women, birth is a very good reason to go to hospital.
    A stand alone midwifery run birth centre is not going to have anything a homebirth midwife wouldn't carry. I agree we need more midwifery run birth centres as it's an option I know a lot of women would like access too but it's not the answer for women who wish to homebirth outside the boundaries of the nearest hospital equipt to deal with obstetric complications. Most women who I know who choose to homebirth do so within an acceptable distance of a maternity hospital. Of course there are women who choose to birth outside these limits but I accept it is the womans choice regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    You realise GBS status changes constantly right and that at some stage in their life most women are GBS positive? Not that I think there is anything wrong with your decision, just on a FYI thing.For me, choices need to improve. When choices are opened up in all environments it improves outcomes longterm and short term. It is great that the research is reflecting what so many people already realise.
    Yes I do realise, I did alot of research in my early stages of pregnancy, for me the potential risk of my baby contracting gbs and the outcome of that is simply not worth it (that said with DS I received 2 rounds of ABS as I was not aware I was in labour)My comment was to a pp who commented about the first step thing

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    A stand alone midwifery run birth centre is not going to have anything a homebirth midwife wouldn't carry. I agree we need more midwifery run birth centres as it's an option I know a lot of women would like access too but it's not the answer for women who wish to homebirth outside the boundaries of the nearest hospital equipt to deal with obstetric complications.
    Yes, but for those of us that live too far away from hospital, a birth centre within a short transferable distance may provide a great compromise. At the moment, their is just no choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Yes, but for those of us that live too far away from hospital, a birth centre within a short transferable distance may provide a great compromise. At the moment, their is just no choice.
    Yep I'm in agreeance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I've never heard a homebirther tell another mother she's a fool for birthing how she has chosen to. If there is someone out there who says that, don't believe she speaks for the majority of homebirthers.

It's so sad that this is where the thread is heading... it's a POSITIVE thing for homebirthers. It's not taking away the right to birth in a hospital...
    unfortunately I have had several negative comments from homebirthers about choosing to birth in a hospital. Some implying I'm ignorant, etc, although they didnt necessarily mean to insult, I find the way they dismissed my decision as condescending. And the second (I think) post in this thread was basically dissing hospital births. And I have been attacked on this forum in the past. So although I dont think its the majority, I do feel as if some homebirthers want to deny everyone the right to a hospital birth just because they dont agree with it.

The initial article is very interesting and thanks to the poster for posting it, but hey, look at the title of the thread - its basically saying you shouldnt go to a hospital to give birth.
    Last edited by soccer mum; 22-09-2012 at 19:00.