+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Other childrens behaviour!

Just after a bit of advice on how to deal with my daughter being 'picked on' at times, she's nearly 23 months and is a reasonably confident little thing, but when we're out and about she does like to stay near me.
    I've noticed recently that she seems to be pushed around by older children and other toddlers when she does leave my side. She was at the top of a slide at kindy gym last week and an older (probably about 3 yr old) boy wanted to get down the slide so he kicked her to get her to go down! This obviously upset her quite a bit, and his mum was made aware and she did apologise and chastise him for it.
    Then on Sunday we were out meeting friends and the moment she went away from my side, maybe 20 yards away, a little girl who's the daughter of a friend, who's just turned 2 went up to my daughter and smacked her in the face twice with her doll! I consoled her as best I could but i've noticed that she's becoming more timid around other children, especially older ones. How can I help her through this??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At the park and playgroups etc, I pretty much hang around with my 18 month old and keep a close eye on her interaction with other kids. In my opinion, kids around that age need constant guidance over their social behaviour. So, when a kid tells my little one she can't play on such-and-such toy because she's a girl, I tell them directly "yes, she can, this playground is for everyone". If a kid got physical I'd remove her from the space.
    That said, being rough is probably a phase all kids go through. Kids are very resilient though, and I wouldn't worry too much about long lasting damage - as long as you continue to be there to supervise and control the situation before it escalates to anything really nasty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    At the park and playgroups etc, I pretty much hang around with my 18 month old and keep a close eye on her interaction with other kids. In my opinion, kids around that age need constant guidance over their social behaviour. So, when a kid tells my little one she can't play on such-and-such toy because she's a girl, I tell them directly "yes, she can, this playground is for everyone". If a kid got physical I'd remove her from the space.
    That said, being rough is probably a phase all kids go through. Kids are very resilient though, and I wouldn't worry too much about long lasting damage - as long as you continue to be there to supervise and control the situation before it escalates to anything really nasty.
    This. Young kids can't manage their behaviour very well and I think kids are very aware of when another child is smaller or younger and this makes them a bit of a target or easier to push around. I don't think it's anything to do with your daughter it's just what some kids do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This always happened to me at the park and in various other places with my daughter. I was just give her a hug and usually the parent of the other child would chastise their child (Sometimes not, man that made me mad lol). If it makes you feel better, now she's 4 it doesn't happen at all, and she's a very confident little girl It didn't affect her confidence at all, and it happened a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know about you, but if someone hurts my child I will have words with the child that does it!! I know it is up to parents to discipline their own children, but if they get told off by someone else rather than a parent I find it usually has a shock effect too... ( I don't mean scream at them or anything, just go up to them and tell them that it's not nice and please say sorry and don't do it again)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a very tough subject I'm sorry that your daughter has had this happen to her. My ds is 18 months old and around this age they don't know that hitting and pushing hurt and they are impulsive are acting rather than "thinking" at this age. I tell him no and put him away from who ever he hit (normally myself or dh) and if he comes back up tell him he has to be gentle. As for the older childre I'm not sure. But I know I would be annoyed if the other mother didn't do anything about it! I'm all for ignoring unwanted behavior but not when it impacts/hurts someone else!!! They need guidance! Maybe if it was a younger child you could say to your daughter that he is still learning right from wrong and isn't a "big kid" like her as for rhe ones that are older than her maybe tell her she can say to them " that wasn't a very nice thing to do" ???

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops just re read I was thinking your daughter was a bit older when I first replied! I think the best thing you can do for her is to keep boosting her confidence

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub