+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bali at 16 weeks pregnant?

Hi ladies wanting your opinions on Bali in the early 2nd Trimester.

DH and I are planning to go to Ubud, Bali for 4 nights when I'm around 16weeks. I'm a bit worried about going. Obviously food, water and Mosquitos are all things we will be careful about.

I wouldn't want to go much later on in the pregnancy incase I went into per-term labour.

Any advice or experiences? Would you go?

(We've been to Ubud 6 times).

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm such a worry wart that I wouldn't go. I probably wouldn't leave Australia past the first trimester. Is there anywhere in Australia that you could go to instead? I know Bali is much cheaper though.

But... you've been before so it sounds like you know what to avoid. And at 16 weeks you should (hopefully) be feeling pretty good, not so tired, not as much nausea. I flew to FNQ when I was 17 weeks last year and it was a pretty good time to travel. I didn't have any issues with the heat or humidity, although I was still throwing up every morning, but no biggie.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

BlueLips  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLips View Post
    Hi ladies wanting your opinions on Bali in the early 2nd Trimester.

DH and I are planning to go to Ubud, Bali for 4 nights when I'm around 16weeks. I'm a bit worried about going. Obviously food, water and Mosquitos are all things we will be careful about.

I wouldn't want to go much later on in the pregnancy incase I went into per-term labour.

Any advice or experiences? Would you go?

(We've been to Ubud 6 times).

TIA
    Get travel insurance!

I wouldn't go, medical care in Bali is uh interesting but cheap

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

BlueLips  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH & I were living in SE Asia when we conceived (and I later gave birth to) our first child. I managed to avoid food poisoning throughout the pregnancy by exercising caution when eating out. Some of the basics are only drink bottled water, avoid ice and salads, don't eat at roadside stalls or dodgy-looking places etc. Read up on food hygiene/safety in places like that. Also, talk to your doctor - you probably won't be able to have any of the travel vaxxes recommended for Indonesia, or take doxy to prevent malaria. Bone up on mozzie protection too - wear a suitable repellant, long clothes etc. Don't pat local animals, either.By taking a few precautions you'll be able to have your awesome tropical babymoon! Lord knows it might be a while before you get another chance!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaShanty For This Useful Post:

BlueLips  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, OP - I just realised you said you've been there six times already! Just ignore my advice - you'd be well aware of all that stuff already I didn't think of the travel insurance suggestion PP made though - now that's great advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice. For those saying you wouldn't go due to medical care not being too standard. Do you mean in relation to pregnancy ?

What could you anticipate needing medical care for at that early gestation ? The only thing I can think of is extreme Bali belly ; but I've only been sick once.

But can't think of something risky relating to being 16weeks pregnant.
    Last edited by BlueLips; 21-09-2012 at 22:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go.
    I went to a wedding last year in Bali (in Ubud too) where a bridesmaid was about halfway through her pregnancy and she had no problems.
    You've been six times and probably have a good idea of what to avoid and what's ok.
    The only time I got sick was on the way over, damn travel sickness!
    I love Ubud, can't wait to go back.
    Where are you staying?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went at around 25 weeks pregnant. It was all of fine Go, relax and enjoy yourself! You won't be to big and you've been so know the go over there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think you'd be fine if you were super strict with food. Only drink bottled water and if you are only there for 4 nights, you might be able to avoid a lot of foods that could possibly give you bali belly. Maybe you could look up the locations and numbers of a few doctors before you go, so if something goes wrong, you have somewhere to go. For 4 nights, i reckon you're fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd go for sure! To be blunt, at that gestation if you miscarry there is nothing anyone can do for the baby, and it sounds like you know all the precautions to prevent gastro.

just re travel insurance, many don't cover pre existing conditions (ie pregnancy) so just read the fine print