+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7mo INSISTS on 'helping'.

So DD is 7mo and has always wanted to hold the spoon but until now has been content to hold an empty one while I feed her... until the last couple of days. She now refuses to eat more than a couple of spoonfuls unless she gets to hold the spoon. Decoys are no longer working.
    How do I teach her to use her spoon and do you have any recommendations on a bib that covers her arms too?
    I was hoping to wait a month til we moved to Kalgoorlie and was just going to strip her for every meal but its too cold here still and I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to suck it up and let her feed herself now.
    She has been getting finger food for a while but its been limited to snacks and meat so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was th same at that age stubborn independent little missIn the end i just let her go encouraged using a spoon as much as possible and helped her when her guard was down hahaIts messy but she always got enough food!! Oh and a plastic mat on the floor is a god send!!Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bressar For This Useful Post:

TnA  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD3 insisted on feeding herself or not eating at all. I found the only option was a plastic tablecloth on the floor underneath the highchair, and a bath after every meal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

TnA  (21-09-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As frustrating as it must be, I think out is great she wants to be involved in her food. If she is distracted by a toy or something can you sneak the food in? My dd had a toy that attached to the highchair tray with a suction cup and SF loved to play with that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

TnA  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope toys are no longer working. I've even tried giving her one spoon with a little food on it and sneaking in with mine but no go. I'll look for a plastic drop sheet tomorrow! I hope she gets the hang of a spoon cause yoghurt is her absolute favourite and she cracks it if she doesn't get any with breakky lol!
    Would it be worth me buying her some of the loopy spoons to try and stop her fingers spilling the food off?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're looking for a bib that covers their arms I fully recommend ikea, they have a two pack for $9.99 good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BusyMumma For This Useful Post:

TnA  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    just let her eat the yoghurt using her fingers. its amazing how much they can do if you let them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

TnA  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sillybillyz does great bibs with sleeves.

Try giving her finger food and then sneak the spoon in between.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnymummy For This Useful Post:

TnA  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bought a shower curtian from big w, bigger and much cheaper then a 'messy mat'. Ds also mostly had yoghurt from a squeeze pouch, not the store bought ones full of sugar but I buy cherub baby pouches then fill them with homemade Greek youghurt. Much less messier imo.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

TnA  (23-09-2012)