+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Lightbulb Will I be able to breastfeed again??

Hi,
    I have a question I am hoping one of you will be able to answer... I just found out I am expecting again, which is wonderful!! I have six children already, the first five were all exclusively breastfed, and weaned themselves before they were 2.... My last baby, I had a milk duct that was blocked from day 1... I tried everything to unblock it, and nothing worked... Needless to say I ended up with severe mastitis, and eventually found myself in surgery, almost septic, having a massive 11x13cm abscess drained.... It required packing and dressing by the community nurses for almost 4 weeks, and I was on major antibiotics via I.V. For two of those weeks... My poor little man ended up on formula, which I hated.
    I now have a 5cm scar from the surgery, and at least 4-5 milk ducts with major damage from the infection.... It just ate away the breast tissue..
    I assume I will never feed from that breast again, but is it possible for me to feed from the other breast exclusively, or will stimulating my good breast cause both breasts to produce milk and end up with me having the same issues all over again??
    Any words of wisdom will be gratefully received!!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have no idea, but i know at least 2 people who have breast fed exclusively from one breast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You might like to check out bfar.org you aren't breastfeeding after breast reduction but as it is after surgery the issues may be similar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When your milk first comes in you are making enough to feed twins - this means that each breast is capable of feeding a child. It may mean that sometimes you may feed more frequently than someone who is feeding from both breasts.

Try calling the ABA helpline for info on whether you are still able to feed from the breast with the damage - they should be able to help you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,

I also had surgery under GA to remove a large breast abscess when I was bf my first child when she was 6 weeks old. It was several months until the area healed properly. I kept feeding my DD although she was also comp fed for several months. She finally weaned when she was 3 years old. DD fed from both breasts even though supply was affected in the damaged breast.

I've since had DS and have been feeding him from both breasts with no real dramas and there has been no need to comp feed him.

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you too,

ETA - when my milk came in with DS I did have to take some extra care massaging the scar tissue and I did experience some slight pain for a short time with engorgement on the damaged breast. I was also hyper vigilant with blocked ducts this time around and my Doctor gave me an AB prescription to have on hand at the first sign of mastitis. I did use the prescription at about the 3-4 week stage but it resolved really quickly this time because I got in early. I haven't had any issues since and DS is now 9 months and still feeding.
    Last edited by DailyDiversion; 22-09-2012 at 09:18.