+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Melbourne Sleep Schools

I am going to look into day stay sleep schools for my three month old DS as he just won't sleep during the day. I know of Masada, north park and mitcham private. Does anyone have experience of these?I don't ever leave him to cry and don't intend to start doing so (I mean to settle to sleep of course - I do sometimes leave him to cry so I can shower, etc even though I hate it). Since this is the case will sleep school even work for us??Do I need a referral to attend and if so can it be a MCHN rather than a GP?One last thing... I am worried that the day sleeps are an issue as we are often out and out in the day. Do you think the only solution is for me to stay in most days?? If so I am not sure how I will cope!!TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Talk to your MCHN. My local council has day stays and they can give you ideas on breastfeeding and sleep. Take the ideas that work for you, and leave the ones that don't. Your MCHN will know of local programs and is a good starting point.

Can you babywear during the day so baby can sleep? Will he sleep in the car or pram?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

kw123  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no experience with sleep schools, sorry.

When you say he won't sleep during the day do you mean at all? Or he catnaps?

If you are deadest against leaving him to cry it might be worth starting by reading the No Cry Sleep Solution or the No Cry Nap Solution.

Also my paed suggested teaching DS to sleep in his cot at the same age by patting him in his cot for 3 minutes, then cuddling him for 3 minutes, then repeat for half an hour. Then if not asleep use the pram or swing (not feeding) to get him to sleep. If he wakes after 40 mins, repeat. I wish I'd given it a go instead of being against any crying at all. Might have worked, who knows?

Sorry if this isn't really answering your original question, just thought might be worth exploring these options before sleep school.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

kw123  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you - some useful tips there. He just catnaps - 20 to 40 mins max. He sleeps in the car and pram but wakes as soon as the motion stops!He doesn't love the ergo unfortunately and it's not great for getting things done while he is napping. I find it hard to cook and clean with him in it. As well as nap myself lol!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I second the no cry nap solution book. It takes time but if you are against leaving bub to cry then I don't think sleep schools are for you!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-09-2012),kw123  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    this is not going to make you happy but lots of babies catnap- its the norm vs longer sleeps. It will all change when bub moves to 2 solid sleeps a day. my DD1 went from stupid catnaps to 2x 2-2.5hr sleeps at 6mths old.

I found breaking the day's work in small chunks helped. ie first catnap i'd cut everything for dinner. then when bub was awake and in bouncer playin/chillin I'd cook it as I could wander to DD1 and chat. second catnap I'd tidy the house, but fold/put away clothes when bub was awake.

stuff like

hanging out clothes, cooking (not food prep), vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms can all be done whilst bub is awake in short 20min bursts. I'd prop DD1 and currently pop DD2 in their bouncer/playmat near me whilst working. besides learning to amuse themselves, I'd get stuff done. so 10min play then 20min work etc.

1 catnap was mine to bludge around. I would also often pop the girls on their playmat on the floor and nap next to them. babies like being near mum and I'd get a few 20min snatches through the day whilst they were gurgling away.

hope this helps if you decide against the sleep school.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-09-2012),kw123  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mitcham Private was brilliant for myself and DD (now 10.5 mo). We went at 4mo because she rarely slept during the day from 6 weeks. The waiting time is listed as 2-3 weeks but they can shuffle depending on level of need. I faxed off paperwork on the Monday and was admitted on the following Sunday. There are only 6 mums and bubs in at once. The stay is generally for 4 nights, but I stayed 5 nights and someone else stayed 9. The nurses work with you and your limits and are always there to help you, day and night. Each mum and bub are treated individually, not as a group, as it happens at other schools. Mums are also looked after extremely well. We chatted to a psych, had a massage and were generally given the chance to stop and regroup. The biggest decision we had to make was what to order from the menu for meals!I can highly recommend it!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MunchkinsMum1 For This Useful Post:

kw123  (22-09-2012)