+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Over friendly GP

Not sure where to put this, but needed to get it off my chest.

I go to my GP's clinic to get bt's done. My fs is tracking my estrogen levels and things have been moving slowly, so I've had quite a few done over the last few weeks. Each time I've seen my GP in passing and we've waved, occasionally his stuck his head around the corner to have a bit of a chat. Today he told the lady taking my blood to get me to come to his room afterwards. So I waited around for a bit.
    Anyway. He asked me if I was angry at him, because last time I hadn't smiled and been happy to see him. Had he done something wrong? I assured him I was just tired and upset from the meds I'm on. He patted his belly and asked how it was going (IVF) and what all the bt's were for, so I explained but he stopped listening to me. He asked for my phone number, and when I said reception had it, and why did he want it he asked if I didn't want him to have it. He obviously didn't want to get it from them. He asked what I was doing this weekend, and I said I was working. What am I doing next weekend? Don't know, dp will be in and I keep all that time free for him. When will I have a weekend off? I work on a roster, so that's ages away. What's wrong, don't I want him to call me? Umm, freaking no! Didn't say that though. Just diverted away from that. Went to leave and he opened his arms wide for a hug. This isn't the first time he's hugged me, but usually I'm good at deflecting it and he backs off for a few visits. I convince myself I'm overreacting and imagining things, and forget about it. About a year ago he tried to arrange for our families to do some things together, but I'd completely pushed that away. Am I freaking for a reason, or does it sound like he's just pushing to be friends? He's not Australian, so maybe he's not picking up on the social cues?

This is the best Drs clinic in a 40 min drive, and I don't want to leave it. But i don't need to go for personal reasons often, just to get my ad script so I suppose I could do that anywhere. Thing is, I'm a disability support worker, and most of my clients go to him so I don't want to make waves and have things be awkward for work visits. It's almost impossible to get Drs to accept my clients onto their books, and I won't do anything to jeopardize that.

I don't know what I want from posting this, except maybe to get it out. I'm very unsettled and not sure how to handle it.
    Last edited by Rutabaga; 21-09-2012 at 14:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh my he is definitely overstepping the mark. He sounds creepy, creepy and oh have I mentioned .. creepy?? As I read your post my skin was crawling! What a weirdo. His behaviour is completely inappropriate and even more so as a doctor and I would be speaking to the practice manager if I were you. I had a problem with a gp at my local medical centre and although I didn't want to leave because my favourite GP ever works there, I also didn't want his behaviour to go without punishment (not like your story, this was more a malpractice thing). To cut a long story short, I contacted the practive manager and we had a meeting and although she didn't fire him, he was told to not speak with me as I requested that he never open his mouth to me again. You need to do the same. You shouldn't be pushed out of a medical centre that you like because he's a freak. My GP has my mobile number and I have his but only for emergencies or when I need test results but that was because I asked for it. The fact that he asked for your number when he can get it from the computer tells me he is looking to get your number as a sleazy pick up. Speak to the practice manager asap. Who knows how many other women he forces out the door because they don't speak up. You could possibly break that cycle ... Good luck!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

angelini  (24-09-2012),MsImpatient  (22-09-2012),Rutabaga  (21-09-2012)

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you firstimemummy, it feels good to have my feelings validified. I'm sitting in the car ark at work, late, having a bit of a panic and a cry. Damn it, this is not going to be a good shift if I can't suck it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katherinelouise View Post
    Thank you firstimemummy, it feels good to have my feelings validified. I'm sitting in the car ark at work, late, having a bit of a panic and a cry. Damn it, this is not going to be a good shift if I can't suck it up.
    Take your time and have a cry if you need too. Work can wait

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Talk to the practice manager! Myself and my parents and grandparents have been seeing the same GP for 18/19 years (I now see a female on in the same practice as well) and whilst communication has always been friendly but professional e.g his kids are the same age as me, so when we were younger it would always be how are the kids etc, enjoying high school/uni/thats great they got a job/into that awesome degree, enjoy your holiday etc but we've never ever seen them outside the practice..... And I really like the fact that I've see the same GP who I saw for my chicken-pox when I was 7 years old, that the nurse there has seen us grow up, that they ask how uni etc is going when I go (usually for blood tests etc) that there is that familiarity, but it would be weird/unprofessional if it was anything more.

That sounds like overstepping the friendly professional boundaries....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    His behaviour is totally inappropriate and, well, odd. No wonder you're feeling unsettled. Its just wrong on so any levels.

Please talk to the Practice Manager. This Dr is a liability for them. He's harrassing you, and who knows who else. They will be grateful you told them so they can deal with him before he gets the whole practice in trouble, or gets sued.

You're not over reacting. He's abusing his position of power and pressuring you into an inappropriate relationship. He needs to back off, and you need to feel safe and relaxed when visiting your medical centre.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh he's picking up on the cues all right. Why else would he have pushed to know why you don't want to give him your number? He knew you didn't want to from whatever you said or how you acted straight away and then set about making you feel awkward about it. He's taking advantage of his position and the fact that you sound like a nice/polite person. I'd take the advice of others here and speak to the practice manager.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellymoe For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (22-09-2012),Rutabaga  (21-09-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What a sleaze bag! Wouldn't you love to kick him you know where, and walk away leaving him clutching in agony. Or record him secretly, let him hear the playback then tell him 'if you ever talk to me like that again..."

But yeah its hard if you don't want to jeopardise your clients. Can you just avoid him when you have to go to the practice? Are your clients always accompanied by a carer if they have to see him? Horrible thought but you never know...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Um yuck, this guy needs reporting...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Odd.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (21-09-2012)