+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you tried there night time routine eg settling them earlier etc?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    She's not a toddler, so it's probably easier, but my 7-year-old has to get up at 6am to be out of the house at 6.30am 3 days a week so I can go study.

I wake her up, put her outfit on her bed, and tell her to get dressed first thing.

I go make her breakfast and have it ready.

I then make her brush her teeth and do her hair.

That's all I do for her in the mornings. I do her lunch the day before, and make sure her morning is really easy for her. If she were a toddler, I'd do the same, except if I had to be somewhere, I'd be giving her her breakfast in the car on the way (something easily hand-held... like breakfast muffins and a smoothie or something).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say thanks mums for helping me out with such great advice...and that I feel totally embarrassed to have even started this thread because the solution was so obvious and I should've known it already: NO TV!! We used to have this policy but somewhere in the midst of having another baby and moving, we let the rules slip and would turn the tv on whenever she wanted just to occupy her while we took care of other things. So, this morning, we took a stand and said, "No tv until you've had breakfast, got dressed and brushed your teeth and hair". She protested a bit at first, but then she sat down and ate all of her Weetbix (that's what she asks to eat every morning, btw)! And then she got dressed and brushed her teeth and hair without any dramas! I don't think it'll take very long for her to realise that's how it is from now. And I ran out of time last night to lay out her clothes for this morning but I'll start doing that too. Thanks, girls!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're another no tv in the morning family here. We didn't previously have this rule, then I got some advice that said tv really slows kids down and switches them off, especially in the morning. I was desperate so we trialled no tv on kinder mornings and hey presto life became a lot easier! My ds is still a SLOW eater and needs the preverbial bomb under him to actually get dressed most days, but without tv or discussions about 'when can we watch tv' it got easier. I did get 'I don't like this no tv rule' for ages, but now he doesn't ask for TV so much after Kinder or on the weekends - a real bonus as far as I'm concerned - I was worried he was watching too much TV, but didn't know what to do.

If you're home, just have a rule that there is no TV before 9am and everyone must have breakfast and be dressed by 9am too. That's what we do on school holidays.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    No TV in the morning.
    When DS gets up the rule is that he either has breakfast or gets dressed. When he's done with one then it's time to do the other. If he refuse then he gets sent back to bed until he's ready to have breakfast or get dressed. That might sound harsh but that works for us. (I haven't had to send him back for well over year now). I find keeping the momentum going works well. We also go out every morning (either kindy or gym) so there is the pressure for them to get ready. What do you do in the monring? I've managed to get the kids really excited about teeth brushing but announcing "IT'S TEETH BRUSHING TIME" in a really excited voice and stamping and clapping into the bathroom. The kids thought it was hilarous and followed me. All I have to do now is say it's teeth brushing time and they're in. What used to work is waiting until it was nearly time to go out and saying to DS "do you want to go out" (or what ever the bribe was), wait until he said "yes" then I would say "well you have to brush your teeth and go to the toilet first" and that normally worked.
    I also get up when DF is still here so he can do the kids breakfasts if they are awake whilst I shower and have my breakfast.
    If when DS was younger and he kept getting up from teh table then I would threaten the rest of his meal goes in the bin. Again, no TV on, no other distractions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS (7) would love to watch tele when he has his brekkie, he does ask for it but it is a no. Tele is really distracting, he takes even longer to finish his brekkie. I dont feel it is a blackmail thing, it is more what is priority.

When he wakes, he has a list of things to finish which I have printed and stuck on the wall and have gone through with him so he knows - make bed, change (I prepare his clothes the night before), toilet, clear dishwasher, brekkie (we have a variety but if we needed to get out of the house fast, cereals' the most efficient for him), brush teeth, feed the dog.