+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    It's typical for them to make a huge batch of rice at the start of the day (or week? ) and then make the rolls 'fresh' through the day. That's the big issue with the rice as it's a bacteria breeding ground.
    Pretty sure the cooks would be well aware of this and therefore have their own practices in place to prevent it happening. Like TIMERS and TEMPERATURE CONTROL. Just as any food business does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe in Japan they have no listeria guidelines or anything for pregnant women - so you could eat soft cheese and pate and no one would bat an eyelid. I reckon pregnant women would eat lots of sushi there - I think the reason so many pregnant women here crave it for 9 months is because the omega 3s would be so good for you and the baby.

I have eaten sushi both pregnancies - from a proper sushi restaurant with a high turnover. I have avoided sashimi - although if a pregnant woman ate sashimi that was very fresh I wouldn't think she was stupid. Yes, the rice is a risk but I personally am ok with taking that risk on the rare occasions I've had sushi.

I've also made it myself, that's totally fine. But somehow not quite as delicious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkamunka View Post
    Are you just saying this to freak OP out? or do you know for FACT this is how they operate?
    I'm not trying to freak anyone out. I'm stating a fact. I have seen first hand how they operate. Its not a big deal in most cases, like I said the chance of getting food poisoning is small and for a normal, healthy person it doesn't usually cause any long term damage. In fact for most people, listeria causes little more than flu like symptoms. But as we all know, for a pregnant woman the risk is more serious as listeria can harm an unborn baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkamunka View Post
    Pretty sure the cooks would be well aware of this and therefore have their own practices in place to prevent it happening. Like TIMERS and TEMPERATURE CONTROL. Just as any food business does.
    Possibly in a perfect world. I don't have a lot of professional food prep experience but I did work for a short while at a roadhouse and I know from that experience that NO not every food business has those controls and checks in place.

I also worked taking returns at a major supermarket chain long enough to know that even everything is followed to the letter, some foods are just more prone to spoilage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah I had some sushi in town the other day. Vego. Feel fine about it.