+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I ate sushi while pregnant but had the cooked ones like chicken or veg (which is what I liked anyway) however every time I'd be sick but then I was sick every evening anyway...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah it's the cold rice that is most dangerous. You never know how long it's been sitting there. I am a sushi addict and make my own when I'm pregnant. It's easier than I thought it would be. I bought a Sushezi which rolls the sushi into perfect professional looking rolls. The more I make the better it gets. I usually do tuna or teriyaki chicken but you could do anything. Freshly cooked prawns would be fine.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No way. Cold rice and pasta are very high risk foods. I would only eat it if I had made it myself, and even then, no raw fish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't eat it unless you made it yourself. Freshly cooked rice, and put in the fridge straight away is fine. You could use it warm if you wanted to but the sushi won't roll as well. Don't let it sit in the fridge too long though, just long enough that it is ready to go and eat whatever you make straight away. And don't use any raw fish.

The biggest problem with sushi bars is that while they might appear to be making everything fresh, most of them make huge bulk lots of rice at the start of the day, which then sits there all day until they use it. The chance of getting food poisoning from sushi is really quite small but would you be prepared to risk it, given that the consequence could be miscarriage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sushi is the thing that I miss the most! Being an ivf pregnancy I am just not willing to take any risks with food. I am now just over 36 weeks so not long to wait now until I can have a sushi feast!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought one roll (pumpkin & avocado) before finding out that the rice was one of the biggest concerns. My partner then made me fresh sushi after that. It was great until I vomited up a whole lot of nori...haven't eaten it since. That stuff tastes horrible coming up :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I did, because back then the listeria stuff wasn't really such a big deal. It wasn't "don't eat sushi," but "don't eat raw sushi."

I will probably eat it in future pregnancies, but if you're wanting it but worried, just make your own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash139 View Post
    Has anyone eaten sushi in their pregnancy? With my first I ate so well n didn't have sushi until after dd was born. This time I'm so desperate for sushi n it's hubby n I fave food. I'm thinking I want to eat it but don't know if that's a good choice. Any advice would be great??
    ive pretty much eaten it thruout my pregnancy so far. i love it.
    I dont eat the raw fish ones for obvious reasons.
    If ur that concerned about bacteria or whatever then make it urself. It's really easy and u can load them with vegies.

ALSO, just like any food business, Sushi places would have food hygiene and safety standards to adhere to or they would not be in business. Simple.
    I DO NOT believe they make a batch of rice in the mornings for the whole day and leave it sitting there. Why would they risk screwing up their business by risking giving someone food poisoning???
    I see them out the back CONSTANTLY cooking and preparing hand rolls to keep up with demand.
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 21-09-2012 at 20:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pre-cooked chicken is on the no-no list too (unless eaten within 24 hours of cooking/stored correctly etc). A workmate got awful food poisoning from teryaki chicken nori from a busy city sushi bar - it wasn't listeria, but you still wouldn't want that either!

It's typical for them to make a huge batch of rice at the start of the day (or week? ) and then make the rolls 'fresh' through the day. That's the big issue with the rice as it's a bacteria breeding ground.

I'm too lazy to perfect nori-rolling, so at home I make "deconstructed sushi". I make little bite-size piles with all the bits. Tastes the same, hit's the spot - wouldn't meet a Japanese person's criteria for food looking good though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post

The biggest problem with sushi bars is that while they might appear to be making everything fresh, most of them make huge bulk lots of rice at the start of the day, which then sits there all day until they use it.
    Are you just saying this to freak OP out? or do you know for FACT this is how they operate?