+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sushi

Has anyone eaten sushi in their pregnancy? With my first I ate so well n didn't have sushi until after dd was born. This time I'm so desperate for sushi n it's hubby n I fave food. I'm thinking I want to eat it but don't know if that's a good choice. Any advice would be great??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe it's fine as long as....
    1) don't get the fish one
    2) ask them to make it fresh in front of you, so you don't get one thats been sitting out all morning in the display case
    3) go to a reputable place that has a high-turnover so you know the ingredients are always fresh etc. Buy from a proper sushi store/bar, not from the work canteen or the coffee shop down the road sort of deal. Will never forget the green poop incident after my friends bought sushi from the uni cafeteria....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sushi

It's on my OB's list of "foods to avoid". I thought it was because cold rice breeds bacteria, but could be wrong.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rice is one Of the biggest breeders of bacteria. I am killing for some too... But woukd consider it if made fresh but not sure if that lessens the listeria risk with sushi

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did a bit of googling hehe.... maybe if you make it yourself at home? That way the cooked rice and everything will be fresh and you'll be literally going from making it to eating it....

There's concern with the whole aspect of it just sitting there in the cabinet in regards to listeria....

But as someone else on a another blog pointed out..... There's still lots of babies being born in Japan.... would Japanese women still eat sushi whilst pregnant? But then I wonder if food prep for sushi over there is different to here....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

angelini  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's so true about Japanese pregnant ladies. Hmmm that's got me thinking now. Yeh I would def want fresh stuff from a fancy resturant n not just from a dodgy place... Oh I just want sushi... After I had my dd, I made hubby get it everyday for me for lunch in hospital, I was a crazy sushi lady

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahhh sushi. My long lost friend.

Ive been complaining about not having sushi loudly and stridently for the last 24 weeks. My husband and I never buy it but make it regularly at home (when im not pregnant). Considering when you make it yourself you know your hands ate clean and that the fish is fresh and the rice properly cooled and handled I always figured it'd probably be fine. But I've never been game to try!

I feel your pain though. My husband has promised not to make or eat any until I can which is very sweet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't eat it unless I made it at home but everyone is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's completely up to you but I probably wouldn't after reading what I did recently about bacteria in rice. Especially cold rice.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yea ild make it at home to hve then you know how long it's been sitting there