+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Carseat arrangements..where to put newborn?

Possibly a silly question but I'm just wondering what others do ... New bub is due soon....I have a 4 year old in a hiliner and a tall 7 year old who uses the car seatbelt only...just wondering the best place to put the newborn ...currently the 4 year old is on the back seat passenger side and the 7 year old sits in the middle on the back seat...should I keep the 4 yr old where he is so he exits the car kerb side each time or should I put the newborn there,or put the newborn in the middle,which would mean I would have to enter the car on the traffic side,and the 7 yr old would have to wait to get in the car while I strapped bub in.. What do others find easiest,and safest?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd put newborn behind passenger so I can see him, 7 year old next to baby to help when crying and 4 year old behind me do he couldn't annoy baby.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (22-09-2012),Rockett  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Never really tight about 4 year old getting out on the road side. I think I'd keep the arrangement and get 7year old to unclip 4year old and get 4 year old to climb through to get out on path side?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bexter Haha yes it might be wise to keep the 4 yr old away from baby!
    Any more thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    Never really tight about 4 year old getting out on the road side. I think I'd keep the arrangement and get 7year old to unclip 4year old and get 4 year old to climb through to get out on path side?
    This is what I do. Baby behind passenger, DS 5.5 in the middle and DD nearly 3 behind driver. Either DS will undo DD's belt (or I undo it for her but then shut the roadside door) and she climbs through.

By keeping your eldest in the middle you'll also avoid the hassle of two car seats next to each other which would make belting in your 4yo a bit trickier I'd imagine. I'm thankful my DS is quite small and still within the range for a 5point harness because with 3 seats in our car there's no room to squeeze a hand between them to do up a belt!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat13 For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would put newborn behind passenger. That's where I have DD.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amesv For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds good....thanks all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've got a 5 year old and DD is nearly 1. DS is behind me (driver side), and I have DD on the kerb side (passenger). The reasons for this are firstly, I spend more time buckling DD in, so it makes sense to have her on the kerb side so that I don't have to worry about traffic as I buckle her in. DS is on the road side, but I have the child lock on the door so that he can't just fling the door open, and it's pretty quick to buckle him in so it's not a big issue having him on the road side. If I had 3 kids your ages, I would put the eldest in the middle, the newborn on the passenger side and the 4 year old behind the driver side.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have my baby behind the driver. i have a mirror in front of him so i can see him.

my toddler is a runner, so it is easier and safer to get her out on the non-road (passenger) side.

while the seat is in reverse facing position, there is not much room for anybody to get past.

agree on splitting the 4 yr old and baby.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like to have bub directly behind the driver. If you a routinely parking in carparks, or the garage at home, there is no road-side and kerb-side to worry about, and it is easier to not have to walk all the way around the car every time to put bub in and take them out.

If you do park on a busy road, you can ask the other children to climb into the front passenger seat to wait whilst you get into the car to get bub out. Or once bub is a few months old, perhaps the 7yo (depending on the child) might be able to unclip bub and hand him/her to you.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Rockett  (22-09-2012)