Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Bottom line is I couldn't forsee the way that the statement would be taken and no matter your assumption of how I meant the statement, my intent was not as you have assumed.

The problems we post about on parenting are not unique to the first world but computers are.

I even looked up the statement on urban dictionary and found my thoughts on it matched how I intended it. "usually said to lighten a mood" and "problems experienced in wealthy industrialised countries which people in third world countries would probably roll their eyes at"

I only thought I shouldn't have said it after seeing the reaction of yourself and a couple of others, I had no idea it would be taken as it was. Why? Because we've had threads on first world problems before with none of the fallout

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I guess it's about the context.

We've had threads on first world problems that have been very light hearted, and I agree that it's usually said to lighten a mood.

But if someone is upset, unhappy, or trying to explain why something has affected them badly, then it isn't always very sensitive to say something as flippant - especially after saying how the issue in hand doesn't bother you at all.

E.g., "I'm upset that my cat is ill."

"I don't like cats. Meh. First world problem."

I know that's a silly example - a closer one would be:

"Some people are upset as they've lost something that had become part of their day to day life and, for some, was a bit of a lifeline - and we feel like no one cares."

"Meh. I never used it. First world problem."

I didn't assume any unkind intent with your comment. I just felt that it was insensitive and that you weren't taking people seriously when they tried to explain how they felt.

It doesn't bother you - that's fine. But it does bother some people, and I'd have expected your remark from some of the more 'robust' posters in here (the ones who routinely post things along the lines of 'get over it'/ 'who cares'/ 'suck it up') , but not from a mod/ 'official' BH rep - that's all.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (21-09-2012),Pina Colada  (22-09-2012),Witwicky  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Holy guacamole! How many times does this issue have to go back and forth? People got shorty about the comment, the moderator has said they shouldn't have made the comment. Its been said like 50 flobbity-jillion times now. Can we just move on? Or at least create a thread specifically for repeating the same 2 statements over and over again.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (21-09-2012),halloweendee  (21-09-2012),Mod-Myztik  (21-09-2012),Shoopuf  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Holy guacamole! How many times does this issue have to go back and forth? People got shorty about the comment, the moderator has said they shouldn't have made the comment. Its been said like 50 flobbity-jillion times now. Can we just move on? Or at least create a thread specifically for repeating the same 2 statements over and over again.
    Yeah fair comment. I did kind of feel like I was repeating myself. I didn't agree with all that was being said, but I don't think there are any other ways to try to explain it, and I think we are going round in circles!

Probably best we leave it there.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    So this thread was a veiled "Im p!ssy at something the mod said"?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (21-09-2012)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    So this thread was a veiled "Im p!ssy at something the mod said"?

Well everyone COME ON DOWN!! I'm sure we've all put our foot in our mouths at one time or another-

Hell- I'll confess that in modland I'm known as "Stuff- It- up- Nomsie"... (that could be taken *so* the wrong way!) and even with the best intentions I end up

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Hell- I'll confess that in modland I'm known as "Stuff- It- up- Nomsie"... (that could be taken *so* the wrong way!)
    THAT was so many kinds of awesome I can't even tell you!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    THAT was so many kinds of awesome I can't even tell you!
    *sniff* It's ok to laugh at my expense.. all the mods do... *sniff* Especially Stinky Veve...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Mods are human, we know that. But just if you bought a defective product from Kmart and the Manager said meh first world problem, this is a business in so many words, you would think that's Kmart's official stance right? that Kmart doesn't care about it's customers.

As members we are held accountable with infractions, warnings and deleted posts. I would also like to see mods have a seperate account for modding, I believe it's positive for both sides. Mods, being human can have their moments and their opinions, free of the restrictions of the pink status and be true to themselves, and members can feel like modding decisions are seperate and they don't actually know who the mods are.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (21-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    ooohhh I just saw we were told we shouldn't be talking about it anymore strike the above lol

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast