+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What would you do? I need real life stories ..

Hi everyone

DH and I have found out we are pregnant which we are overjoyed about! The thing is, we are going to the US on the 5th of October until the 21st October. If I were to have a scan two days before we go, that would put me at approximately 6 weeks and to be honest, I don't want to freak out if they can't find a heartbeat yet. I don't want to spend the trip worrying about anything. I want to be much more relaxed this time around after a missed miscarriage in February this year, and so my question is ... what would you do in this scenario?

The only reason to have a scan in my opinion is in case of an ectopic but I figure that bloods drawn every 48 hours should be enough to see if the levels are raising as they should as I have heard that ectopic pregnancies have slow rising HCG levels?

I would love to hear from ladies who are willing to share about their ectopic pregnanacy. How long were you in pain before you sought medical attention? We have travel insurance so if God forbit something happened we are covered but my concern is being on a plane for 20 + hours and if something were to happen on there ...

Just trying to cover all my bases. I really want to leave the scan until we get back when I will be 9 weeks .. I think It's a case of once bitten twice shy for having early scans for me ..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Eko  (20-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations! If I was you I would do the scan before going, even if they can't find a heartbeat they'll be able to see a sac and figure out if its in the right spot. While on the plane do some stretching and walking around as well as drinking lots of water. When in the us you can go and get a scan done maybe the following week, I was in my 2nd trimester and had a 3D scan it wasn't expensive, alternatively you can buy or borrow a dopler (I have one and its really easy to use).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (21-09-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Woooo! Congrats FTM!

On a personal note, I think waiting until 8 weeks is a wise idea. I ended up having to wait because I was sick, so 8 weeks it was. I couldn't hear the HB yet, but I could see it flash flash flashing furiously on the screen . If I'd only seen the fetal pole I'd probably have worried quite a bit, it's just in my nature.
    Seeing the HB was definitely a great reassurance .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    id have an early scan, but you'll just have to tell yourself that it is normal if you don't see a heartbeat, but you can at least see if the sac is in the right place, so you won't have to worry about ectopic?

Also if you have a few hcg tests, to see what the levels are doing, that will hopefully help rule out risk of ectopic.

Its a nervous time, especially after you've lost one before.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    FTM - Congrats I know you want real life stories but it is waaaaay to early to think about a doppler. Not until well after 15weeks then there are issues with non professionals using them - what if you can't find something, you will worry unnecessarily.
    I would also let your travel insurance know just in case and make sure you are covered for anything.

is there any chance your doc could let you have two scans?

If bloods were rising I think I would wait and do it when I came back but it's so hard. You will worry regardless I think.

Goodluck and all the best for a H & H pregnancy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hullabalu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would wait. I would want to see the heartbeat otherwise you'll worry for 3 weeks whilst in the US. There are so many stories of not seeing things that early and if you happen to be later than what you think (late ovulation/implantation etc) I was 8 days behind where I thought I was.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all congratulations .I would wait till you get back for the scan. Go enjoy your holiday.

I have not had a ectopic pregnancy but from what I know you will know about it! Make sure your travel insurance will cover you if anything, god forbid, does go wrong.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bindi81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Hi everyone
    I would love to hear from ladies who are willing to share about their ectopic pregnanacy. How long were you in pain before you sought medical attention? We have travel insurance so if God forbit something happened we are covered but my concern is being on a plane for 20 + hours and if something were to happen on there ...
    Congratulations and enjoy your trip to the US! If something were to happen on the plane (ectopic wise), I would imagine they would make an emergency landing as soon as they could and arrange for medical transport to meet you? Easier said then done, when you're flying over the Pacific Ocean though.....

Edit: Agree with everyone else, wait until afterwards to get the scan!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you sooo much ladies! You have all echoed what I feel in my heart. I believe that the HCG levels will be enough to determine that all is where it should be and progressing as it should and so I will be waiting until I come back to have that scan.

Thank you again .. you have no idea how much comfot this has brought me

Thanks
    Reviews
    it sure is hard not to worry. I did and still do, so probably not one to be handing out tips. However, I'd go and enjoy the holiday. I would defo not get doppler until much later. I got one at 14 weeks and even then it'd be very hard at times to find the heart beat.
    Have a fabulous time. Thoroughly jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post: