+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Elijah's mum - real estate question

Can you give me the REAL story about an asking pricing when it says, for example - $570,00 PLUS. (just an example, not the real price)

We have found a house and subject to a few things could be making an offer next week.
    However the real estate just said to me (and I quote!)

We are very firm on this price, we think it's reasonable and so your offer will need to reflect the plus. Nothing below would be considered, don't think this will be one of those houses you can steal for $550...

Really??
    Is that true?
    Obviously want to make an offer that will be taken seriously.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi!
    It usually depends on the owner and how long the home has been on the market - $570,000 plus probably means they are chasing $600,000 but it totally depends on what buyers think its worth and are prepared to pay! I'm sure the owner has instructed his agent he wants more than $570k but reality is if they can't get it they usually consider lower offers-

Have you researched the area -what have other houses sold for ? Base your offer on what you think it's worth ( and what you can afford!)
    Always go lower with an offer ( but not ridiculously low or they won't take you seriously) agents legally have to give owners (even verbal ones) all offers - plus use a past sale as an example eg; "we think it's similar to the house that sold at no 21 for $560,000 so could you please give the owner an offer of $560,000 and explain why"

Always be ready to sign a contract , always ask what other offers they have had ( they don't have to tell you but you can ask!) always ask " what price will the owners take today to sell it " and when the agent fluffs around that question come back with " in your opinion, what do you think the house is worth based on which recent sales?"

I hope that made some sense !!

Let me knw he you go ! If you are looking in Sydney I can look up recent sales or you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Hi!
    It usually depends on the owner and how long the home has been on the market - $570,000 plus probably means they are chasing $600,000 but it totally depends on what buyers think its worth and are prepared to pay! I'm sure the owner has instructed his agent he wants more than $570k but reality is if they can't get it they usually consider lower offers-

Have you researched the area -what have other houses sold for ? Base your offer on what you think it's worth ( and what you can afford!)
    Always go lower with an offer ( but not ridiculously low or they won't take you seriously) agents legally have to give owners (even verbal ones) all offers - plus use a past sale as an example eg; "we think it's similar to the house that sold at no 21 for $560,000 so could you please give the owner an offer of $560,000 and explain why"

Always be ready to sign a contract , always ask what other offers they have had ( they don't have to tell you but you can ask!) always ask " what price will the owners take today to sell it " and when the agent fluffs around that question come back with " in your opinion, what do you think the house is worth based on which recent sales?"

I hope that made some sense !!

Let me knw he you go ! If you are looking in Sydney I can look up recent sales or you
    Awesome! Thanks so much.
    That makes sense...We were going to offer $15,000 less with a really long settlement as that's what they wanted.
    I'm in Vic, but thank you!
    Last edited by faroutbrusselsprout; 20-09-2012 at 18:37.