+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help me choose a dog!!!!!

So our lease in our townhouse is up and we plan to move into a rental house, then purchase our first property.
    So I believe the time has come to purchase our first furry family member. I'm just not sure which breed to get.
    I want a dog that is medium to large sized, will not kill my chickens and can get along with my DD (currently 14 months). I also want it to deter people from coming into our yard, as we live in a low socio-economic, high crime area. We live in an outer suburb, so a block with a large backyard (600-1000sqm) is within our price range.
    i'm reasonably active, and would be able to walk the dog everyday (or almost every day).
    I understand every breed has its pros and cons and every dog is different, based on personality and training, regardless of breed.

At the moment i'm considering a Maremma, great with other pets and good protectors. My parents had a maremma from when i was about 10 and he was great with us. The one they have now seems fine both with my daughter and my niece. However i know the breed can be aloof and hard to train.

As my experience with Maremmas is limited to two dogs, i was wondering if anyone else had personal experience or recommendations?

Also any suggestions for other breeds that fit my criteria?

I'm not in a hurry to buy and i want to choose the right dog for us. I was thinking of waiting until after the christmas period (february) and getting a dog from the pound. I've heard this is the time they get a huge influx of unwanted pets from christmas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, We got our dog from the rspca as s puppy he is boxer cross with a staffy we think. He's a medium sized dog (21kgs) He is lovely natured and he's great with kids and also is big enough and has a decent bark to keep prowlers away but small enough to be an inside dog too Good luck finding a dog!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have boxers, I think they would meet your needs. Very protective of our DD and our house but you'd need to do training with them to make sure they don't take that protective role too far. We didn't do enough with our boy boxer and he doesn't like strangers coming to our house even when they're invited. Does make me feel safe when I'm home by myself though. They are good friends with my mums dogs and our cats, they were very gentle with our kittens when they came home, same with DD when she was s baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't fall into the trap of buying a Jack Russell because they're small, cute and friendly - they have a bolting streak a mile wide and belong in huge backyards with impenetrable fences! We made that mistake once - fell in love with the loveliest little JRT, but ended up giving him to some people with acreage after the fifth time he ran away. Broke our hearts, but it was for the best.

I can't really recommend any particular breed, though, but will say I think it's a good idea to get a puppy as you can train it and get it used to your family and lifestyle - and the chickens! Have fun choosing - it's such a wonderful thing, bringing a dog into your lives

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a golden retriever and a lab. The lab is mad as a cut snake and I would certainly not get a lab. BUT the Goldie is the most beautiful creature that God ever put on this earth. And every goldie I have ever known has been like that. My nephews and nieces lay on her, ride her, cuddle her and do anything else to her and she couldn't mind less. In fact I think that's when she's happiest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    I have a golden retriever and a lab. The lab is mad as a cut snake and I would certainly not get a lab. BUT the Goldie is the most beautiful creature that God ever put on this earth. And every goldie I have ever known has been like that. My nephews and nieces lay on her, ride her, cuddle her and do anything else to her and she couldn't mind less. In fact I think that's when she's happiest.
    This ^^ I have a golden retriever puppy as well and my kids can do anything to her and she is so gentle with them. I also have a jack russell crossed with a Tibetan terrior which we got from the RSPCA last year and she is divine. Also very gentle and adores the kids.

I definitely recommend an RSCPA puppy. All my dogs have always been from there, and these days they are temperament tested and graded by the RSCPA, and if you have kids they won't let you take one home til you bring your child there and they see the animal interract with your family. They really do their best to match dogs with owners. The only reason we bought the goldie is we know the breeder and the timing was perfect and I've always wanted one. I should say our backyard looks like moles have moved in and the kids have lost so many toys to her chewing it's like a graveyard some days. She also chews the dining table legs, the couch, books,.... But she is so gorgeous we don't care, and it's forced us to be very tidy and put things away!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A german shorthaired pointer is what we will get when the times right and would meet your criteria.

Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a boxer x staffy also. Now she is a bit of a nut bag but deco agley a top guard dog. She's fine with family and people she knows or someone she hasn't met aslong as dp or myself are around. She is very wary around strangers. She's a big licker and is gorgeous.
    I also have a schnauzer and he is the most gentle dog I have ever met. He and my other dog are inseparable. He can also be inside, easy to house train and the best with kids. Maybe not the best guard dog but always barks and let's you know if a stranger is close by.
    Good luck with your choice!! Dogs are brilliant pets!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a red heeler and a marrema/border collie. I would recommend either BUT the marrema cross has been incredibly difficult to train at times as she is VERY easily distracted. My mother has an Australian Shepherd and I would also recommend them as a family dog. Very smart, easy going and playful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a Rottweiler and he's great, very good with DD, very protective (saved me from two dogs who attacked us while walking) and definitely a huge deterrent to break ins. He's very good with other pets even smaller ones. You'll need to socialize a rottie from puppy and make sure parents don't have hip displesia. :-) so fun to get a doggie