+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 9 month old waking 2-3 times a night

My son has started waking 2-3 times a night. He used to get through to about 4.30am and I'd breastfeed him and he'd go back to sleep. Suddenly he's waking about 3 times a night crying. I try not to BF every time and sometimes my husband goes in, but the last couple of nights he just won't go back to sleep without it. Or he'll only sleep in bed with me. He arches his back and screams if we try to put him back down still awake. He used to be ok with this.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a growth spurt at this age? Should I be feeding him? Is it seperation anxiety and he wants to be close to me? He's fine when I drop him at day care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having the same trouble with my DD who is 11.5mths old and also bf she started doing this around the same age, it seemed to happen when she started to roll over from her back to her tummy and started to crawl as well, She wakes every 2 hrs from the time i put her down at 7-7.30pm up until around 2-3 and will not settle without a feed, i have no solution for you , i have tried mixed feeding with no result, i have also tried to leave her to resettle herself but to sleep but she just becomes more upset and becomes to worked up and takes twice as long to re settle her. her day time sleeps have also started to become more unsettled in the last week But i did read up at around that age they are going through a developmental growth spurt and often practice their new found skills in their sleep. so i am putting it down to that for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS sleep has always been a roller coaster of ups and downs. I remember one of his "downs" came around 9 months and lasted for 2 or 3 months! Honestly, there are so many reasons for waking I almost can't be bothered deciphering anymore.

I knew he knew how to sleep so I just trusted he was telling me something and always fed him back to sleep.

He's now nearly 18 months and his sleep is going downhill again...doing things he's never done before etc etc. It's frustrating but I guess like always, he will return to being "good" again when he's through whatever he is experiencing at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree!!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    DS sleep has always been a roller coaster of ups and downs. I remember one of his "downs" came around 9 months and lasted for 2 or 3 months! Honestly, there are so many reasons for waking I almost can't be bothered deciphering anymore.

I knew he knew how to sleep so I just trusted he was telling me something and always fed him back to sleep.

He's now nearly 18 months and his sleep is going downhill again...doing things he's never done before etc etc. It's frustrating but I guess like always, he will return to being "good" again when he's through whatever he is experiencing at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. It's good to know I'm not the only one. You're definitely right about the ups and downs. I think we're finally on an up. I had to do something as I'm working full time and the sleep dep was like with a new born.

Anyway so what I did the first few nights was the lay down approach. I just kept lying him down (not picking up) and rewarding with a pat each time he stayed. Eventually he'd fall asleep. After 2-3 nights of that I moved to not going in when he'd wake and cry for a little while. (It ended up being a protest cry not emotional) It only took 5 mins and he fell asleep himself. This has happened several times now. The other day it took much longer and he didnt settle but I soon realised his nappy had leaked (oops).
    So last night he actually slept through!!! 6pm-5am. I heard a little cry at 3am left it and he stopped and went back to sleep. I always go check on him though, make sure nothing is wrong. I think he might have been a bit cold too. I'm just hopIng for another good night.
    Last edited by Marty83; 03-10-2012 at 20:51.