+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 28 month old showed signs of readiness but now resisting toilet training

My 2 year old DD showed all the signs of wanting to TT, so I started 3 days ago, but now she is resisting like crazy. She fights me physically not to put undies on, so often has nothing on, may sit on the toilet but only for a split second and gets off without doing anything, will hold on for hours (4 or 5!) only to do it as soon as I put on her nappy for sleeps (or she has an accident). She does get upset when she wets herself but every time I ask her if she needs the toilet she says "no thank you" (polite, at least!).

I don't want to traumatise her - should I persist or leave it for now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I TT my SD and found that the best way for her to go was if I went on the toilet first and she saw it. I have gotten used to going to the toilet with the door open and have just recently moved in with my mum and keep forgetting I have a 17 yo Brother!!! When my SD was at her mothers, she would run around naked (as she did half the time at mine, we were in Darwin so it was always hot!!!) and her mother would have a potty where she could easily find and use it.

When SD was with me and DP, we would ask on an hourly basis, and just put her on every 2 hrs if she said no, and then she would always go after I had been on. She is very much a copy cat!

Hope this helps you! I know TT can be a very trying time for mummies!!!
    Good luck to you and your DD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

mumkc  (20-09-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would leave it for now. Maybe make the potty easily available to her but don't get involved in any battles. Let her choose some pretty undies when you go shopping but don't put pressure on her to wear them. I used to put undies on over DD's nappy and I also put the potty in front of the tv, and in the doorway to the kitchen so she could sit on the potty and talk to me and look at books etc. She is only young, keep it light.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

mumkc  (20-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just leave it. She'll do it when she's ready. Both my first and third had a great understanding of the toilet by 2.5 years but both refused to use it until they were closer to 3....however when they did decide it was literally from one day to the next and we had very few accidents...even took them both out in undies the first day they were in undies.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

mumkc  (20-09-2012)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't persist with at the moment if I were you.

When TT my kids I would persist for 2-3 days and if they weren't getting it by then I would go back to nappies for a couple of weeks and try again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

mumkc  (20-09-2012)