+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Always sick! Please help me

I am bf my 4.5 month old bub and since birth have not felt completely well. I suffered from secondary bleeding/infections and was treated for this. I also got a cold about 1.5 months ago and have been not 100% since.
    I work from home and have a toddler so always have a lot on my plate.
    I know bf can take up alot of energy. I usually eat quite well and even started clean eating BUT I have now got another cold/flu (we think I caught it from my Mum who has brochiolitis) and I just feel like I can't face another illness I just want to feel fighting fit whilst bf! And I want to bf for as long as possible. I am taking 2 capsules of blackmores pregnancy/bf vitamin and an inner health plus.

I would love to hear from others that may have consulted a doctor/pharmacist or naturopath and maybe given advice on what I can safely take or do whilst bf? TIA! Going now to vicks myself

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Some tips from a Blackmores Naturopath (sorry for the long post)

Hi Sugarplum Mummy,

Sorry to hear about your condition. It sounds like your immune system took quite a beating after birth with the infections. I am guessing you would have had multiple courses of anti-biotics which means it may take time to rebuild the gut-related immune system, so keep up those probiotics and probiotic foods (eh grated carrot and lentils). There’s an old fashioned word “convalescence”, which is a recovery period after illness where you rest, eat well (plenty of soups juices and non caffeinated fluids such as herbal tea) and get a balance of sunshine, clean water and gentle exercise before resuming full duties. It sounds like this is what you need to reboot your immune system but are not able to get. So any chance you can get to sleep, take on less and rest will speed your recovery. My doctor once told me that as little as 20 minutes of relaxation a day can help improve your immune function, so if possible try to aim for 20 mins of down time a day.

There is a lack of safety data for a lot of herbs in breast-feeding so unless under the supervision of a health professional, it is best to stick to what there is safety data for. Some treatments known to be safe in pregnancy and breast-feeding are vitamin C up to 1800 mg a day. There is 30 mg in each Blackmores Pregnancy and Breast-feeding Gold capsules – at 2 caps a day you will be taking 60 mg a day. So you can take 3 x 500 mg of vitamin C daily without exceeding 1800 mg. You can also take fresh garlic or garlic tablets (up to 180 mg of fresh bulb a day) and the immune herb andrographis is suitable in breastfeeding but definitely not in pregnancy. Feel free to chat with our Blackmores naturopaths on 1800 803 760. All the best, Sophie (A Blackmores Naturopath).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I take a high dose vit c powder, the naturopath said to me when breastfeeding to dilute it a lot and sip throughout the day rather than take all at once. She said its bad for your teeth though, but I just drink water after to hopefully lessen it. I also try to remember to keep up my iron.

Do you get enough sleep, and are you consuming enough calories? I would be exhausted with a toddler, a baby and working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thankyou both for your replies, I really appreciate it!
    I will head off and get some vitamin c tomorrow. I do have some spatone to drink for my iron so should start drinking this again too. I eat alot of garlic in cooking is that sufficient?
    Still feeling dreadful and now both babies have it
    My bub does not sleep through night yet so broken sleep does not help! I am going to sit down and re-evaluate everything so that I can prioritise feeling well again, where do I start?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you have blood loss? That really knocks your immune system around. Iron helps but can take time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's really important to prioritise your health, I have noticed i'm feeling a bit run down lately so am on the vit c and iron (spatone as well), floradix is good too as it has vit b. I am also trying to have early nights as mine still wake for a feed as well. Also I am really being mindful of my diet, I've been eating heaps of chocolate since I had my babies (they are 7 wks old), so trying to gef off the sugar and carbs. In the past when I've cut out sugar, lowered my carbs and upped the protein, I've felt so much better, more energy, less sickness etc. basically I am not watching fat as I need to keep my calories up, I'm not cutting out sugars in dried fruit etc as it still has nutritional benefits, but I'm making sure everything I put in my mouth has some sort of nutritional value. Eg chocolate doesn't, but I've been making bliss balls with raw cacao, coconut oil, coconut, nuts and dates to curb the chocolate craving. Eating stews and soups with lots of vegies and meat with the bone left in etc. Maybe you could try doing that sort of thing- really making an effort to nourish your body and take a few moments to relax, even if it's a bath after kids are in bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello again, I agree with Minky about iron and Annabella with eating enough and the right foods to keep you going (great tips with the bliss balls).

Garlic does lose a fair bit of its medicinal content (allicin) when it is cooked but if you crush it on top of steamed vegetables, the allicin should survive and if you add to salad dresing, tziziki or in olive oil as a dip and you will get the full potency of the garlic.

All the best ,

Sophie

Thanks
    Reviews
    I exclusively bf and seem to be constantly sick also. I think getting up in night to feed, comfort etc takes its toll. I was so sick a few weeks ago and had sleep dep bad from night feeding I had to get sleeping tablets and get my husband to do night duty so my body could heal. I only had 2 nights worth but the sleep was what I needed to recover. Despite that, I'm sick once again. Just a small cold but now my body can't seem to fight off the sinus infection. It's never ending.

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For me i tried everything but it wasn't until i discovered colloidal silver, olive leaf extract and sambucol's elderberry that i final got it all under control. Sambucol's lozenges are great too, i've been using elderberry and zinc for years and found they helped the most.

The worst part for me was discovering at 10months that DD3 was intolerant of gluten and garlic amongst a few other things so she was getting sicker when i/we had a cold and doing the usual right things taking supplements adding extra garlic into foods she got completely miserable and wouldn't sleep well making recovery take longer due to lack of rest etc.

Good luck i hope you're on the way to a healthier family soon.