+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby with clicky hips but NOT hip dysplasia?

One side of my 4.5mo son's hips clicks sometimes when I change his nappy. I mentioned it to the GP when I took him in for his 4m vaxxes and she said she couldn't hear or feel it and wouldn't be worried. But it still makes that sound and I just read somewhere that some babies aren't diagnosed with HD immediately but if it's not picked up till after 6m of age, then they'll have to have major surgery to correct it.

Before I rush my son to the GP again, has anyone else got a child whose hips made a clicking sound that wasn't caused by HD? I mean, is it possible for it just to be 'normal' for my son's hips to do this without there being any sinister reason for it? I'm trying not to get worked up about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would go to the GP and get a referral for an ultrasound. My DD's paed noticed her clicks hips at 9 weeks old and sent her for an ultrasound but said it was mild and would fix itself. Then at her 6 month check up they realized it had gotten worse and she had to go in a brace part time till she turned 2. If she had been a kg or so heavier they would have done the surgery. It's definitely something worth getting checked out sooner rather then later, because even if it's nothing at least you won't be stressed about it. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (20-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, your poor DD! How's she going with it now? I really appreciate your reply but I have to say, I'm a bit freaked out now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm so sorry I don't mean to freak you out, but just better to get it checked out then find out later on! If your GP wasn't worried the first time then that's a good sign. DD is fine now, we are still waiting for our follow up ultrasound at the children's hospital to make sure it did the job but they seem to be great! Maybe just mention it to your GP or even a MCHN if you still see one just to get their opinion. I'm so sorry I freaked you out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, don't be! Unfortunately it does take much to set me off I'm really glad your DD is doing well, though!Still hoping there's someone who says their child's hip clicks & it's fine. Actually, mine has done that since as long as I can remember...

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, don't be! Unfortunately it does take much to set me off I'm really glad your DD is doing well, though!Still hoping there's someone who says their child's hip clicks & it's fine. Actually, mine has done that since as long as I can remember...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd didn't have clicky hips, but had uneven leg creases so had to have an ultrasound so I understand your anxiety. Her ultrasound was normal thankfully.

I have clicky knees and they are fine.

It's definitely worth getting an ultrasound. The earlier it's picked up the better. I had a friend with it picked up as a young adult and she was facing a hip replacement at age 25. Although it might be tough if you have to face braces/surgery in the near future it can make a huge difference later on.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (20-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get a second opinion and ask for an ultrasound. My daughter had hip dysplasia but it was picked up at birth and fixed with a pavlik harness (9 weeks, 24 hours a day). I didn't hear her hips click when they tested her but an ultrasound showed it. She fine now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to beccacino For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (20-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls, thanks so much for your advice but there's been an update. I thought I'd posted it already but it seems to have been deleted in the midst of all the Bub Hub database problems they had the other night. It's not his hips that click - it's his knees! Now I'm not sure whether to be relieved or concerned for an entirely new reason...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly I'd still ask for an ultrasound of the hips just to be extra certain.

My knees have clicked when I bend them for as long as I can remember. Not every time, but definitely more than 50% of the time. Makes everyone cringe. No-one has actually told me why it happens. I do have hypermobile joints, but I'm not sure if the two are related at all, I suspect not.