+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default So the SIL did the inspection... but now I'm a but suspicious...

Okay, so a week or so ago I complained that we were about to have a house inspection. That's all well and good but SIL, who HATES me and who would enjoy nothing more than seeing me fail, was going to be doing the inspection.

I sucked it up, cleaned the house to perfection so she had nothing she could pick on... and waited. Today was the inspection.

I was a bit "wtf?" when she turned up in just random clothes. Not work stuff. Then I remembered - for as long as I've known her, she has Tuesdays off. Yet she was supposed to be working by doing the inspection, right?

Then she wandered around, glancing around (I think she was angry that she found nothing to pick on), and yet didn't have the camera it was stated in the letter that she'd be using (fair enough really), but she also didn't have any sort of paperwork on her. Not even a pen and paper. Usually when I've had an inspection (other rentals) they've had a checklist.

She also informed me that the next inspection would be done by the property manager. I assumed that this was actually her job, but now I'm thinking perhaps she just used the work's files so she could gain access to our house in order to have a snoop around (and pass judgement). Why wouldn't the property manager have done this one? Why did she record nothing? Why did she do it on a day off? Etc.

I don't think anything bad will come of it, so I'm not stressing, I'm just thinking she may have done this for no other reason than to be nosey. Not an "official" visit at all.

She usually spends her free time with MIL, so no doubt she was hoping to see what a filthy house we have so she can go report back to MIL and they can b*tch about how horrible I am or whatever... so I'm glad she had nothing to complain about (except 1 cobweb in the corner... which I didn't notice previously because I don't wear my glasses in my house and therefore just wasn't able to see it).

Do you think it sounds like maybe she wasn't actually conducting an inspection? Or is this how some real estates do things?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds dodgy as hell. How annoying is that!?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (19-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Next tue ring the real estate and say that *name* carried out an inspection on x date and mentioned that y would do the next one and you were just wondering how often inspections would be now....or something else that will get them checking your records and see if it has been recorded. Then you'll know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd be calling up the agency and asking to speak to the property manager about the 'inspection' and could you please get some feedback. See if the property manager has any idea what you're talking about....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely call the real estate agent and if possible ask for a copy of the inspection report, I think you have a right to ask for it. Certainly sounds like a snoop fest rather than official work business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Very dodgy, sounds like she just wanted a sneaky beak and it wasn't an official inspection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Totally suss!

I doubt it was a formal inspection, just her way of checking up on you and having a good old snoop.

Maybe call the real estate to get some feedback on the inspection? Then you'll know for sure if she's done the dodgy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Were you given written notification to say someone was entering the property to conduct a inspection? I think they have to use a certain form?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be calling the agency and asking for a copy of report for today. Then if they try to do another state and give them proof one was conducted.

This will probably cause you trouble so make sure you are as innocent as possible. My aunt pretended she was just their socially and "noticed" stuff that was of concern when I protested an inspection
    Last edited by fairyflossfairy; 18-09-2012 at 22:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    def sounds dodgy!!