+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Overweight 3yo

Hi,
    I haven't been on bubhub forever, but have a question and was hoping you guys would be able to help me out.
    My 3yo is 18.3kg and 97cm tall, weighed and measured today, which gives him a BMI of about 19.5. This puts him way off the top of the normal weight chart. I knew he was on the big side of things, but was shocked that he would be off the chart.

He is super active, he doesn't stop except when he is asleep (which is quite often, he sleeps more than his 1yo sister!) We spend at least a couple of hours almost every day at a park, and he doesn't sit or stop the whole time, and when we're home he is on his little bike doing laps and laps around the deck, or jumping on the trampoline.

So it must be what he eats. But we have very little processed food in our house, it really is pretty much fruit, veges, meat, dairy. We haven't eaten sugar for at least 6 months, so that removes a lot of the processed food already. He only drinks water and maybe 1 cup of milk each day. From what I read (googled) you shouldn't really restrict how much they eat, just make sure it is healthy. I will say he does eat too much fruit and not enough veges, and maybe too much bread (but always wholemeal/ grainy bread).

What do I do? I just tried to make an appointment with a CHN, but apparently my local one doesn't see kids as old as 3, but they will get a nurse to phone me. I could ask my GP, but she is likely to say don't worry about it, he is fine. Maybe a dietician? Any recommendations for dieticians for kids in Brisbane. Is he too young to start something like soccer?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Overweight 3yo

I hate bmis for toddlers for this exact reason... As you are concerned I suggest you see a gp and listen to what they say.

Personally I think he will just grow into himself ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

angelini  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He just sounds like a big kid. My boys are off the charts for weight and height - not a fat roll to be seen. BMI is not a good indicator of weight issues IMO

If you are worried, see a dietitian. But his diet seems pretty good to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd ask your GP for a referral to a Pead. Especially since you says he sleeps a lot.

If be worrie about an underlying cause since he is so active and eating very well.

Hope you find some answers.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    There is nothing wrong with your DS. I am the mother of an extremely large boy. I kept a record of his weight because it was so big. At age 2 he was 18.5 kg and by 3 he was off the 0-36month chart weighing in at 22kg. He has always been on the 97th percentile for height but way WAY over for weight. He eats good food every day. He's now 5 and has never had McDonalds, Hungry Jacks or any of those sort of take always. He only drinks milk or water (juice is for parties) and has had lemonade once. He gets fresh air and exercise every day. He's just a solid boy. Don't stress about it, don't let people tell you to put him on diets. If he's getting a good all-round diet and exercise then everything will be fine.

(In contrast my DD is teeny - she wears clothes at nearly 2 that my DS wore when he was 3-4 months old!)

ETA: Does he look overweight?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

angelini  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...ages/bmi4child

Play around with it, and you'll see how silly toddler BMIs are.
    say he grows 1-2cm (which can be mismeasured anyway) and his clothes weigh 100 grams or so that you didn't take into account... well that puts him right back in the normal range. And the "normal" range follows a strange curve for the next couple of years. It's hard.
    Get an outsider to answer if he looks "obese" or not (as you will not be the best judge). I think a dietitian is a little extreme for a three year old. But yes, I think at 3 (or maybe its 4) he can join a littlies soccer team, just ask around your community.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you think he is due for a growth spurt? I find both my boys look like they have put on a bit of chub from time to time then they shoot up and look normal again.

Also fruit is natures candy. Just because its natural, doesnt mean its not packed with sugar. IF your concerned I would cut down the fruit intake and see if that helps. Could also be the reason he is so active!