+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    What would you consider to be moving costs? A full pack and unpack by removalists and reconnecting services etc? Enough to hire a truck? Somewhere in between? What amount do you think you would agree on?
    I wouldn't want someone to pack and unpack my boxes but I would want people to pack the truck, drive the truck, and unload the truck.
    Covering the costs of reconnecting services would be nice but the truck is the biggest expense and as a tenant knowing that I was going to get booted out in another two months anyway I'd take the option of having the truck + removalists paid for. I don't know how much that costs so ring around and get a few quotes (we always just use cheap 'no name' removalists rather than your big branded companies who charge a ridiculous amount.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

Pina Colada  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    This happened to my ex's mother. The owner paid all her cost associated with moving; truck, boxes and other packing material. I'm pretty sure they were given some money or didn't have to pay rent for a period of time too?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We've had to do this too and we paid moving costs and the first weeks rent of their new home (and a bottle of wine).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just remembered something like this happened to SIL.

Her landlord is paying the difference between the rent she paid him and the rent for an equivalent place she could find in the timeframe involved.

He is paying it up until what would have been the end of her lease (7 odd months).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    This happened to my ex's mother. The owner paid all her cost associated with moving; truck, boxes and other packing material. I'm pretty sure they were given some money or didn't have to pay rent for a period of time too?
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    We've had to do this too and we paid moving costs and the first weeks rent of their new home (and a bottle of wine).
    Wow, okay thanks! Great to hear from people with experience in this.

What would an average local move cost do you think? I've only done massive moves so when I hear all moving expenses I kinda go but then the smallest move we have done is 1500km....

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    Wow, okay thanks! Great to hear from people with experience in this.

What would an average local move cost do you think? I've only done massive moves so when I hear all moving expenses I kinda go but then the smallest move we have done is 1500km....
    Our tenants moved locally and it was a couple, not a family and I think it cost $1400ish with Mini Movers and the first weeks rent was $600.
    Hope that helps

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    Our tenants moved locally and it was a couple, not a family and I think it cost $1400ish with Mini Movers and the first weeks rent was $600.
    Hope that helps
    Very helpful, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Local moves tend to cost a lot more then interstate/long distance.

I used mini movers, years ago now, to move 5 minutes down the road. It was $400 and something for furniture only as i moved all the boxes in the car.
    I move 800kms interstate last year and paid $735.

It's best to go with smaller, no name companies if you can. They tend to be a lot cheaper.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also consider if they have school-aged children, moving during the Dec/Jan hollidays may be preferable to them especially if they need to consider another area and thus changing schools.

I would suggest talking to them and find out their feelings on ending the tenancy earlier rather than in March.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post: