+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How much to offer tenants to break lease 6 weeks early?

We have a house that has tenants with a lease until early March. We wish to move into the house in late January, so we would like to request the tenants break their lease early to allow us to move in.

What do you think is a fair amount to offer the tenants as incentive to end the lease 6 weeks early? (sounds like a bribe I know).

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had thought, that if the owner wanted to move back in, they only had to give a minimum notice period, no matter how long the lease is for?

And I would not look at providing a financial benefit to the tenant. Just give a heap of notice. If they say no, then perhaps look at reducing rent by 5 or 10 a week for a period of time..

But they may have an impact on the bond, if you reduce the rent. Thus if there is any damage to the home, you will have less money to cover it.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MsImpatient. That doesn't apply in QLD, the tenants have to agree to end the lease early, whether the owner is moving back in or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents just evicted their tenants so we could move into their investment property.
    They actually gave them the full notice (2 months because they were on a continuing lease), but told them they were happy for them to move out earlier if they found something sooner, which they did.
    You could do the same?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Pina Colada  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in WA and the owner needs to 'negotiate' to break the lease early. In our case the house is on the market so if they broke the lease to sell it with vacant possession the owner would also be responsible for finding a new house for us to rent.

I'd given this some thought and the 'deal' I would have accepted would have varied depending on how long we'd been in the place and how long until the lease was up. Eg. if they'd sold it a few months after we'd just moved in I would have made them pay for full-service packing/moving costs. But after we'd been here past our first lease and were onto a new lease I would have accepted a decent contribution to the cost of basic removalist - so long as we had lots of warning/time to pack.

Edited to add: the place was not on the market when we first signed the lease, in fact we specifically asked as the last house we'd been in got sold out from under us when the lease expired. They put it on the market 3 weeks after we moved in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I offered mine a few years ago $1000 to leave, which was paid when the bond was refunded (so no damage etc)
    Thanks. I was actually thinking $1000 but really have no idea hence the post. Did you put it in writing? I'm concerned that we will ask them to leave early and they will agree, and then decide when the time comes it is too hard to find somewhere and stay anyway?
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 18-09-2012 at 12:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks

They have been there since March, they pay $700 per week and their lease would still have 6 weeks remaining. The tenants will be given at least 8-10 weeks notice before the date we would like them to be out by.

Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    We're in WA and the owner needs to 'negotiate' to break the lease early. In our case the house is on the market so if they broke the lease to sell it with vacant possession the owner would also be responsible for finding a new house for us to rent.

I'd given this some thought and the 'deal' I would have accepted would have varied depending on how long we'd been in the place and how long until the lease was up. Eg. if they'd sold it a few months after we'd just moved in I would have made them pay for full-service packing/moving costs. But after we'd been here past our first lease and were onto a new lease I would have accepted a decent contribution to the cost of basic removalist - so long as we had lots of warning/time to pack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    My parents just evicted their tenants so we could move into their investment property.
    They actually gave them the full notice (2 months because they were on a continuing lease), but told them they were happy for them to move out earlier if they found something sooner, which they did.
    You could do the same?
    They are on a fixed lease, so we have to give them 2 months notice before the end of lease if we do not intend to renew. But that won't see them out sooner unless they agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a tenant and if the owners wanted us to move out early I'd happily do so if they paid for our moving costs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

fairyflossfairy  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What would you consider to be moving costs? A full pack and unpack by removalists and reconnecting services etc? Enough to hire a truck? Somewhere in between? What amount do you think you would agree on?