+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Facebook thread about child leashes.... Judgmental or what ?

We use one on our DS. He's 19 months old and runs everywhere! He wont sit in pram or in trolly or walk the direction we do. I am 37 weeks pregnant also can't run after him and if you try to pick him up he will chuck the biggest tanty ever! He would just lay on the floor or shopping mall and cry and lick the floor! Urrrgggg ..... The only way to keep him happy is the Thomas backpack leash.
    There's nothin wrong with it. Although my mum thinks it looks like i am walking a dog
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions I guess. I don't care what others think. It's my life saver at the moment!

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Meh i think people that judge others for using a safety harness are idiots, Given a choice of risking my child getting squashed under a bus or risk being judged by idiots i would sooner but judged by idiots.

I put DDs wheelchair breaks on when i dont want her to move lol im sure some would say thats taking away her rights to them i say yer what of it, i know more abour safety than she does

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember a thread on here a while ago, can't remember what orcas about but this always stick with me.... If someone gets up you for having your child on a leash tell them that your child used to be a twin but you lost then cause he ran away at the shops and got hit by a bus because he wasnt on a leash. Or something like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    I remember a thread on here a while ago, can't remember what orcas about but this always stick with me.... If someone gets up you for having your child on a leash tell them that your child used to be a twin but you lost then cause he ran away at the shops and got hit by a bus because he wasnt on a leash. Or something like that.

Really? Respond to someone being rude to you by lying about your child dying? Thats...well its definitely sinking to their level.

Umm...good one?

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post

mmm way to scrape the bottom of the barrel, totally sick

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beccacino View Post
    We put dogs on leashes for their safety not because we want to be dominant over them and make them feel downtrodden.
    Yes, basically this. For those that talk about baby backpacks in a derogatory way, I suppose we now know the way you really feel about your dogs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's used for safety so I don't understand the "strapping down a child," comments. You strap them into a carseat, into a pram, etc, for safety. I daresay a harness where they have a little room to move is actually a fair bit freer than strapping them into a stroller or holding their hand tight enough that they cannot break free and into danger.

I used one, temporarily, but discovered DD was better at holding hands. She was never really a runner anyway, but I didn't drive, so we walked everywhere... and felt much better about having a strap tethered to her, than my ability to hold her tiny, sweaty little hand if she tried to break free and make a run for the road...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents used one on me when I was a toddler and I'm ruined because of it. RUINED, I tells ya!

Seriously, I think they're great - our DD had one for a while because she was a bolter - and I'll drag it out again to use for my son if he turns out to be a bolter, too. And I DARE anyone to come up to me and make some BS comment about his civil liberties being violated!

This topic makes me think of a friend who said she refused to put her baby in a playpen because she thought the concept of putting him 'behind bars' was emotionally detrimental...yet she didn't have any problem putting him to sleep in a cot with bars.
    Last edited by SeaShanty; 18-09-2012 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just bumped into this post. I have a backpack with a monkey for my son. He runs off if I dont put it on him because he has SPD and possible ASD (cant assess again til he's 4yo) and can not sit/stand still for longer than 10 seconds
    Whenever I walk in the shops, I have only received positive comments. Old people said they wished they had something like that in the early days, younger people say it's a great idea and they should get one too for their kids.

I can not count the amount of times I have heard the: "Ohhhh look! You have a monkey on your back! That's soooo cute!"

I know what I'll be saying if I did get a negative comment: I'd rather have my son alive with me on a leash, than let him run loose and ruin every item in the shop and then end up running in front of the bus. I will then get blamed for being an irresponsible parent.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Frankly I don't care if people judged me for using one (I admit I never noticed if they did) in the short time that I used one. It's a safety measure. People who say "What happens if you have to jerk it to keep them out of danger? Won't they get hurt?" probably aren't considering the result if the child were to keep running. In front of a car.

It's like saying "Using seatbelts can cause your child to have whiplash in a car accident". Yeah ok, so going flying through the windscreen is a better alternative? Seems a bit alarmist I know but for kids with runners it's not that far off.